Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAN chat program

LAN chat program

Hello all!
    I'm connected to internet through a LAN network. I have a lot of friends using the same network. I was wondering do you know such program that can connect the users directly. I don't want to use servers. I want to know when my friends are online, and to chat with them without going on a server. Do you know such program?
    Remember, all I\'m offering is the truth, nothing more.

Do these friends have static IPs? Without using a server to track who had what IPs I don't see a way to do this with dynamic IPs.

If not the best solution I can come up with, is to run your own server. IRC would be a good choice as the server is easily obtainable and the clients are too.

Yes, they have static IPs, sorry that i didn't mention it.

try these then

this ones free - its similar to the old winpopup program

http://www.realpopup.it/

or this one is a pay for

http://www.winpopup.com/?ref=googs1

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Oh i forgot to say that i'm looking for free software.
    Zonewalker thank you for the offer, i think i'll download the first program and try it.
    If someone know other programs please tell me !

Windows has a program built in called winchat. However, I think its just one on one chatting.
    I don't think that you can have multiple people in one session. Dunno... never really used it.

Start --> run --> winchat

I know its on 2k and xp. Not sure about ME, 98, etc.

Why don't you just setup an IRC server for your network?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The network is not mine that is the problem. And I don't want to use programs as MSNMesenger, or MIRC because I have a limit from 400MB(internet) each Month, but in the Lan network i can do whatever i want.

So, you're saying that you can transfer as much data in network as you want, but are limited to 400MB out of network, i.e. on the internet? Host your own chat server on your machine and have your local friends connect to it. I believe there is an ircd for windows which would accomplish this. Then use mIRC to connect to it. None of the traffic will go out on the internet.

Yes, OK. That is also possible, I can do it. But i don't like programs as MIRC(i never know if the user is infront his PC or he went to the kitchen, if you understand what i mean).
    That is why i was asking for such program(in my mind is staying something as MSN messenger) if iwe are connected directly then i will be sure he is there.

Give Jabber a shot. Its an IM client that you can host your own server for. There are many jabber clients out there to pick from also.