Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hijacking problem

Hijacking problem

Here is the situation, I have had 2 clients with this same issue and I am unable to resolve. I know our precinct has ran into this issue too. The computer when you open up IE will start popups, after further investigation there are multiple issues, first the hosts file is changing somehow.... I have tried changing it to what I wanted and making it read only, only to find out it changed back entries include this
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 auto.search.msn.com
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 search.netscape.com
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 ieautosearch

What I have done.....
    Ran (in safe mode) Hijack this, spybot, spyware blaster, adaware (with vx2 tool) hosts reader, spysweeper, about buster, CWShredder, lsp fix, winsock fix, restored all defaults in IE, cleared all temp including prefetch and offline content, ran ccleaner, NONE of this fixed the issue.

Hijack this comes up with these entries
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 auto.search.msn.com
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 search.netscape.com
    O1 - Hosts: 69.20.16.183 ieautosearch

If I remove them then restart hijack this they are there again, even after a reboot. ccleaner is removing lists of things everytime I run it.

Does anyone have any idea why these hosts files are changing back Now I got the host files fixed and the other files out of hijack this (might be cause I am behind a proxy now) But I cant get those other 2 files to disappear and its causing other popups to happen

Using Sysinternals Process explorer in SAFE MODE this is what I am getting

just noticed on this one computer there are 2 things that keep coming up hkitut.exe (cant find anything about this) I deleted it from everywhere I could find including registry.
    and another called narrator

some other file comes and goes as it pleases wcvrir.exe <--- This is a pain it wont go away

in safe mode only processes running are
    ctfmon.exe
    explorer.exe
    lsass.exe
    prcview
    rundll32 c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe (I deleted this but it came back)
    smss
    svchost
    svchost
    winlogon
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    I was having the exact same problem with a computer I'm fixing today...

It seems to be caused by IGetNet, but I couldn't find any trace of that. I just blocked total access to the HOSTS file alltogether... Everytime I deleted those entries, they came back as soon as I had saved and exited...

Here's some info on IGetNet. Again, I didn't see any of the files/registry entries mentioned... I have no clue what this stuff is

Here's my thread.

mine appear to be related to 3 or so files which are
    hkitut.exe
    narrator
    wvcrir.exe

No matter how many times you delete clean them something is putting them back...sounds like another variant of what you have neg
    here

Banned
    winupdak.dll and doolsav.dat seem to be the ones that are doing it here...

there is a crap ton of information but the only thing sticking out is in the %temp% folder it will not let me delete the index.dat files.... wondering if that has something to do with it?

After looking at TCPview a sysinternals program i am seeing winlogon making a connection on the net to the IP that I had in question earlier. also rundll32.exe is connecting to the same IP 69.20.20.161

Are you seeing this same thing??
    here

Congratulations. You have the latest, greatest bit of nastiness currently going around. It's the newest variant of VX2, and it is a *^@%$& to remove without dynamite. I have not had the pleaseure of tackling it myself, but I do know of a couple of threads that may be helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...3321~mode=flat
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...15&#entry40571
    http://computercops.biz/postx89955-0-0.html

It's lengthy, but Zupe's method seems to be working. I would also suggest the following: Holy Water, and swearing....the second one is usually most helpful.

should i pour the holy water directly onto this spinning fan in the middle of the computer?
    here

should i pour the holy water directly onto this spinning fan in the middle of the computer?
    Sure, but stand waaaaaay back when you do

Just an additional note, this thing has many root-kit charachteristics (hint...try finding the guard.temp file)...

So... how did the processes get into safe mode?

If you beat safe mode, you beat me...

Time to make a boot disc :/

So... how did the processes get into safe mode?
    As far as I understand, it hooks into the winlogon.(exactly how, I don't know) And it protects itself by watching the registry, so if you use something like the killbox, or the delete on reboot option of HJT, it will look in the pendingfilerename key, and remove itself....destroys the recycle bin, resets the hosts file, etc.

nasty, nasty stuff.