Thread: hosting files on apache?

hosting files on apache?

my friend is hosting a web page and for some reason we can get to his index page and i think subpages, but not any files that he hosts. for example www.hissite.com/whatever.exe gives us a "not found" error on the server, but for some reason "hisip/whatever.exe" works fine. he is using a domain that he bought on godaddy.com and having it forwarded to his ip, we think that my be relevant somehow. anybody know whats up?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    The domainname (DNS) probably is not yet picked up by other DNS- servers. It can take some days ...

Try to go on samspade.org and see if the dns gets queried , if not try that again later.

When did he bought it ? and maybe the domainname here would help too ...

Cheers
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

well, he's not using a dns, he just has his godaddy account set up to forward that domain to his ip. the thing is, we can view his index page when we go to the domain, and probably his subpages(we dont know cuz he doesnt have any yet). but for some reason when we try to access this exe file he put up, we get a "file not found error" from his server when we try www.hisdomain.com/whatever.exe, but it works fine if we replace the domain with his ip address. the file not found error seems to tell us that the domain forwarding is working fine but his server is misconfigured. i just dont understand why it works with the ip and not the domain, if the domain is forwarded arent the two equivalent?

While this may sound odd, make sure to take in account caps are correct.
    The server my site is hosted on is a funny animal, it is case sensitive. Maybe that's the problem with you too?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Elite Hacker
    I think I know what it is. I'm pretty sure you have something where is says the domain name in the address bar, but if you do a view source, there is a frame that's 100% of the page and frame source is http://hisip/, so when you type in http://hisdomain.com/whatever.exe, it's not actually there. I recommend you get an account at something like zoneedit.com and use their DNS to forward to your ip, then give their DNS servers to godaddy to use. It will take a few days for them to be updated and for the domain to work. I had the same problem.

yeah, his page is actually a frame, i didnt realize that. thanx heretic