Thread: wierd router network Wep?

wierd router network Wep?

Ok the power whent out at my house so i set up my home wireless network (my router) when i looked at the list i saw other networks of people called hen house and one mclauflin the wiered thing about mclauflin is that i live in a street called mclauflin Am i veiwing other peoples wireless networks? and how can i secure my network from people trying to conect to it.

how do i set up wep ?

ps i dont know sh*t (very little) about sniffers but can i use them on those networks?

It all depends on your wireless access point. If it came with a manual, pull it out.

At your router's IP, (i.e. 192.168.0.1, will be mentioned in your manual) you should have an admin interface, whether it's through your browser or telnet or whatever. If your manual says the router is able to use WEP, (or WPA, preferably) then go in and create a key. From there you will need to take the key to all the network devices and configure them however their manuals tell you to. You can also set up MAC filtering if your router allows it. You would have to gather up all the MAC addresses from your wireless devices and enter them into your router. With windows, a "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt will get you a MAC (physical address).

Yes, you can use a sniffer on a network.

Re: wierd router network Wep?

Originally posted here by disturb
    Ok the power whent out at my house so i set up my home wireless network (my router) when i looked at the list i saw other networks of people called hen house and one mclauflin the wiered thing about mclauflin is that i live in a street called mclauflin Am i veiwing other peoples wireless networks? and how can i secure my network from people trying to conect to it.

how do i set up wep ?

ps i dont know sh*t (very little) about sniffers but can i use them on those networks?
    Never give out your address online, first rule of thumb.
    If at first you don\'t succeed, work for Microsoft.

Banned
    Basically, as Soda already said, it's a matter of reading the router's manual

Here's - in short - the steps you'll want to take. Refer to your manual for the correct values...

- Log on to your router through it's web-based interface. In other words: open your browser, type in http://your router's IP address which you'll find in your manual .
    If you're too lazy to look, try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.0. If that doesn't work, read the manual...

- You'll be asked for a username/password. In almost all cases this will be "admin" for username/login and "admin" for password, or blank for user and "admin" for password or vice versa. In other words: try all "admin AND OR blank" combinations.

- Once you're in the router's config, find the setting to change the username/admin config and change it to whatever you like and can remember.

From then on, it's basically up to you... you'll find settings to disable SSID broadcasting, enable MAC access, WEP, WPA,... there's a bunch of tutorials out there, and it's probably all in your manual

I would start with enabling MAC-based access. It's a pretty decent security measure, and it's the easiest to set up since you don't have to configure the clients... just the router.
    What it basically comes down to is that you tell the router to only allow computers with MAC addresses you told it to allow. All you'll need to do is get the MAC's of the machines you want to allow (start --> run --> cmd --> ipconfig /all) and feed them to the router.

In the case of a wireless router, it really pays to read the manual...

ok i looked through my papers and found it, i set up the wep key .is there a way to test out if its enebled (working)