Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installed new motherboard, can't get os up

I know that. Its just that I dont have a windows cd. The os came preinstalled with the computer and i don't think that it came with any cds.
    The only four things i need are food, water, a computer, and the internet.

how's it going?

that's unlucky about the windows cd. you should always get one, but in saying that, i did not get one with my last box.

have you tried reinstalling linux? also seems a bit extreme, but it should work with the least fuss. it would be an option if all your stuff was on the windows partition.

first though, i'd definatly go about using knoppix to get your stuff off before messing around with anything else. you should be able to access the windows partition and share it out with samba.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Alright, i got to a point where i said screw it with GRUB so i made a grub boot disk. I typed in that code that you told me earlyer to boot to windows and it is still doing nothing. I had to change the (hd0,4) to something else to get the chainloader command to not give me any errors.
    It is weird though, because i am putting my hard drive into another computer of the same sort as the one im working on right now, except that it has the original mother board, and it is working fine. I have tried to reinstall linux, but the thing is that it is not finding its partition. It sees the whole hard drive as one partition, not 3 which is the way it is right now. Ill probably get to a point where i say screw it and not care what im doing and just reinstall everything, but i want to see if there is any way i can do this first without getting to that point.
    By the way, the loader i was using before was lilo, so should i try to install that again and use it?

You should have a "recovery CD" or a recovery partition on your HDD. If you haven't, you will possibly hit a problem with XP and the new MoBo?

Have you tried using Lilo instead of Grub?

Im going to try that right now. I am looking for instructions on how to install it presently. Hopefully it will work out better then that damned GRUB. (Sorry, this is just driving me nuts)

Ok. Here is an update to what has happened.

I have reinstalled Red Hat 8 and i am downloading the latest Red Hat now.
    I can start the computer and get to linux only, but thats using a disk. It seems like the computer has reverted to its old way. Now it only goes to a blank screen where it says "GRUB" at the top and I can't type anything. I am looking to see if a cd did ever come with the computer but I dont know exactly.

The funny thing is that I was able to load everything correctly when I connected the hard drive to the same model computer with its original mother board, but now all i get is the word GRUB when I start it up here. I am completely lost now.

Oh yeah. I just remembered. I have a Window's XP Pro edition cd but it is used on another computer, and the one I am trying to fix has home edition. Could I possibly use it to fix it or not really since it is home edition?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Putting a Pro CD into a Home edition XP box, will take you to an UPGRADE option.
    Either as an upgrade OR as a clean install.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

So basically that option is out since i have already used its one license. Right?

Ok. Thank you everyone for your help.

I gave up and am now doing the simplest thing i can at this point, which is to back up the computer and just start out fresh. That seems like the only thing that will work at this point.
    Thanks though for your guys' help. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunatly, reloading my computer didn't do anything at all. But, now when I start my computer, it says "GRUB GRUB" instead of just "GRUB". What in the world can I do just to get it to start.