Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentoo - Secunia

Originally posted here by .: Shrekkie :.
    gore, when are you going to interprete something what another user said for real, instead of always making your own story out of what someone replied ?
    Heh, if he did that things would be sooooo boring around here.

And don't flame people... it's childish.
    Not if it's done properly.

As to the original topic of the thread, Gentoo does get a lot of security advisories (I use it, I should know, but I've never had any problems security-wise with it. Most of the bugs are, as has already been mentioned, in third-party apps, although I don't know why there seem to be more for Gentoo than any other distro - perhaps it's to do with some of the patches they add on.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Awwwwww, I have a fan!

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    More flames from the seniors I see...

May as well join in.

suse is a rubbish distro.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Sleep with one eye open ****er.

Bah, you've no chance SuSe LuSer

You'll spend all your energy dealing with your crap distro you'll never get round to doing anything even close to me...

Get a real OS - OS/2!

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Dead Man Walking
    Gore mentioned apt-get for suse and slackware and that brings me to a minor slightly off topic question. When you use that wonderfull little program on other OS's besides debian based does it go to suse and slackware repositories or does it go to the same debian repositories that my libranet goes to? If it goes to the same repositories then why pimp that you can use it on your uber SuSE to install the same insecure packages? I mean if its 3rd party apps that have the most bugs/flaws and you are getting them from the same source as all theese "evil" debian and gentoo usersarent your packages just as flawed?

Originally posted here by steve.milner
    Bah, you've no chance SuSe LuSer

You'll spend all your energy dealing with your crap distro you'll never get round to doing anything even close to me...

Get a real OS - OS/2!

Steve
    You know how to make OS/2 Slow, Crash prone, buggy, shitty, and hell to use? READ THE ****ING INSTALL MANUAL.

And as for spending energy on a crap distro.... this box is my FTP, SSH server, and workstation, generally has uptimes of 3 months, and doesn't crash. YAST2 is the absolute best admin tool ever made, and I can have as many people as you want tell you the same. anyone who has ever used it knows.

But you're right about one thing, I won't ever do anything even close to you, I don't need to reboot.

Dave, you tell it where to get updates from. You'd have to ask Horse though because he uses it more than I do.

Originally posted here by gore
    And as for spending energy on a crap distro.... this box is my FTP, SSH server, and workstation, generally has uptimes of 3 months, and doesn't crash.
    Hah, until you plug the network cable in!

Reboot City is thataway ======>

HTH

Steve (Did I mention I lived under a bridge ?)

Dave can speak for me the cable is in, he downloads off me. And has an SSH account.

Originally posted here by ZomBieMann77
    Gore mentioned apt-get for suse and slackware and that brings me to a minor slightly off topic question.
    AFAIK atp-get is for Debian... which makes me wonder, how come it's okay for SUSE to use Debian 'technology' while Gentoo - using ports and whatnot - is all evil and lame?

gore, we all get it: you're too stuck into your distros to get your head out of the arse and understand that what distro we use isn't got **** to do with what we are or what we could do with the computer. Hell I could install text-only BSD on my dad's computer so he can show off with it... what good?
    /\\