Thread: IE History removal with Server 2003 Group Policy

IE History removal with Server 2003 Group Policy

perhaps I am missing something, but didn't there used to be a way you could remove the IE history from a roaming profile using group policy with server 2000?

At the moment I have setup machines to use logoff scripts to delete the contents of
    %userprofile%\local settings\History, and Temporary Internet Files, but it does not seem to be working all that well. Anyone have a better script of a better way of removing History and cache when the user logs off in a domain environment?

Thanks in advance.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.

I apoligize for such a crappy answer but I imagine that if you have a proxy server that caches web data, then you could just set the history to save for 0 days and the IE temp files cache to 0 mb, this if obviously not a successful solution to your problem if you have a large network.

As far as i know these are the reg entries for doing this: I've tried the first before but not the second. How you can get this onto all machines via GPO? I'm not sure but there is a way. Try this
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/rbppaper.asp

Empty Temporary Internet Files
    This will force IE to destroy temporary data stored like images. 0 will cause the destruction of these files while 1 allows it to leave everything behind!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]
    "Persistent"="0"

Clear Internet Explorer Typed URL History

(in v.4+ of our app) This is a bit of a privacy concern on shared computers. I personally prefer not to let other people know where I've been
    Delete this key you'd like to erase your typed URL history completely:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"

Our proxy is for filtering only, no webcache. I will try the reg hacks. Thanks guys.
    kr5kernel
    (kr5kernel at hotmail dot com)
    Linux: Making Penguins Cool Since 1994.