Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next generation shells - is Linux falling behind?

Next generation shells - is Linux falling behind?

One of the reasons that I prefer Linux to Microsoft is the command line – not only is Linux better-suited to management at the command line, but GNU Bash is much more pleasant to use than Microsoft’s CMD.EXE. While Microsoft’s command-line shell has improved somewhat over the years, it’s definitely inferior to Bash and other *nix shells by a long shot.
    Still, I’m a bit intrigued by Jon Udell’s description of MSH, Microsoft’s next-generation shell. I typically scoff at Microsoft’s claims to "innovation," since Microsoft is often quick to claim innovation for things that Apple or UNIX did, better, a few years before. But the features in MSH that Udell writes about actually do seem to qualify as innovation, and some interesting ideas. For example, MSH’s ability to export data in XML format or Excel format, rather than just plain text. (Not that there’s anything wrong with plain text, but…
    Jon Udell"s description of MSH:
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2004/11/02.html#a1106

MSH is still a long way away, probably not due until Longhorn finally trots out sometime in 2006 or 2007. That’s no reason that the Bash folks, or maybe some other project, shouldn’t be thinking of ways to upgrade the Linux command-line experience and take it to the next level.
    If Linux and other *nix OSes are going to stay ahead in this area, they need to start now.
    Full story:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/index.php?p=86

Has anyone here tried MSH? Does it even compare to bash or is it a different beast?

I'm still veyr partial to the bash shell and bash scripting. However, I don't think msh will surpass the Linux console.

And devpon can fully understand where I'm coming from on this when I say, that the bash command line isn't what makes it so powerful. It's the large amount of command line programs (both 3rd party and typical bash commands) that allow the portability/configurability/usability of the command line to an extensive degree. Sure, pipeing and the likes are all powerful features, but without the plethora of compatible an usable GNU/BSD based programs for the command line bash wouldn't be where it is today.

Good news story dev Should stir up some conversation.

I've actually taken a spin with MSH, and I will say that it is sexy. It does have a few things about it that are not as smooth as they should be (like some really long obscure commands and an odd man system). However, they are getting the right idea at least.

It really feels like a nix shell, and I expect a nice final version to come with longhorn.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Banned
    once again, the M$ will declare victory w/ 5 year old technology ... pathetic

The IO system behind it is quit interesting.. (XML streams)
    And might in some cases even be taken into new *nix shells too..

But what I've seen so far doesn't impress me all that much..

And with an air of elitism I can honestly say..
    Atleast I got my LPI
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Unhappy-Not really, Microsoft is rewriting everything from scratch for longhorn
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I don't think a "command line" addition for MS' Longhorn will cause linux to lessen in popularity. It seems they're talking about two different things here. The bash/sh/csh/zsh/ksh shells that are installed in just about every distro by default allow the user to do a great number of things (as Pooh stated) and do them well. This includes path management, job control, forking, tool utilization, and quite a bit more.

I'm glad to see MS stepping up to the plate, even though they're behind the curve ball already. Are they doing this because linux has had this functionality forever, just like unix did, and apple's new OSX, based on the BSD kernel, also has a functional and tried-and-true shell? Or are they doing it because they're really trying to simplify things in a "command line" way, which IMHO, is always superior to anything graphical...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

what is MSH supposed to stand for?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just a guess but Microsoft SHell?

From the first link listed:

He's the architect of Monad, aka MSH (Microsoft Shell),..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i was thinking MicroSoft "H-something"