Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless problem

Try setting your DNS to your gateway. Works for me
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

Disclaimer here, I am not a Linksys nor Suse user. But please read entire post before doing anything.

1st) I'm not sure here what steps you did and did not follow to get to the point where you could “ browse” your network and ping your gateway because you did not say.

2nd) It is usually necessary to provide more detailed information, like what model wireless router you have. Some here may then be able to check the manual to see if there is something in there that you missed.

3rd) When asked you should provide the output of the information requested ( although it could be “sanitised” if you don't want such things as your public IP address known ) Example:
    /* Edit: if you are unfamiliar with routing...at the command prompt type

# netstat -r

and give us the output. */
    You never gave the requested information

4th )
    do you have any good web pages that might help to get me connected thru the command line.do you have any good web pages that might help to get me connected thru the command line.
    Did you try “ man iwconfig” at the command line? ( the “ man “ command is your friend !)

5th ) This is counter-intuitive to me but I do not own a Linksys wireless router: nightcat said :
    Try setting your DNS to your gateway. Works for me
    Check out How to set a static IP address in Windows behind a Linksys Router

and see if you can apply this to your situation. It appears to me that nightcat may be correct!

Please keep us informed. I would love to give nightcat some greenies if his/her advise helps corrects the problem!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

I used different router, the only thing is that I used them with XP.

DNS - dynamic name service.

As far as I remember it takes any name you give it and uses it as an adress to get to. As your router is between you and the ISP, you have to ask your router first, then it passes on your request to the ISP gateway and so on untill it gets the necessary reply.

DNS is used now instead of IP adresses and DNS servers are the servers which keep the routing tables for different adresses.

I'm crap with explaining things, sorry

Hope I helped

AO Senior Cow-beller
    JLQ:

nightcat did give the right advice, it sounds like. Of course, we won't know until you try it and reply, but yes, while with some devices and configurations you could use your ISP dns servers hard coded, it is possible this will cause problems with your router not liking to NAT a service that it thinks it should be providing. there are a LOT of variables listed here, and IknowNot summed it up pretty nicely...try to reply to specific points or queries we've made in trying to assist you, and try to provide as much info as possible. Otherwise we get a very disjointed conversation...as we've started out with.

I would suggest that you try to use the Static DHCP option of your router, since you now are abble to access internet resources. This is a much more elegant solution, and means your system will be ready to go for most other locations, if you take the laptop out of the house (do you use any public hotspots? They are almost ALL set for DHCP.)

Let us know how it goes.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Originally posted here by JLQ5454
    ok i got the laptop to pull an ip address from the linksys router and i can ping the internal gateway and i can browse to the other computers on the network but still can not get out to the internet i have set the dns to my service providers and the default gateway on the laptop to the internal gateway of 192.168.1.1 starting to pull more hair any help would be great
    Can you reach the outside via IP addresses (no names)? Also, what does your /etc/resolv.conf say?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    PM of network particulars I asked for from JQL:

bob:~ # netstat -r
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

bob:~ # ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:46:AC:B3:18
    inet6 addr: fe80::a00:46ff:feac:b318/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:5180 (5.0 Kb)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:2608 (2.5 Kb) TX bytes:2608 (2.5 Kb)

wifi0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr 00-D0-59-49-82-92-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:89 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:6768 (6.6 Kb) TX bytes:1934 (1.8 Kb)
    Interrupt:9 Memory:f0846000-f0847000

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 000:59:49:82:92
    inet addr:192.168.1.54 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2d0:59ff:fe49:8292/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:89 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:5870 (5.7 Kb) TX bytes:1862 (1.8 Kb)
    Interrupt:9 Memory:f0846000-f0847000

bob:~ # traceroute www.zencoder.net
    www.zencoder.net: Temporary failure in name resolution
    bob:~ #
    Ok, looks to me like there's no default route. So anything outside 192.168.1/24 is unknown to the box and it doesn't even send it out the wireless connection.

Any takes on this?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I'm afraid I'm out of the game for now. I'm useless when it comes to theory and huge amounts of writing.

My advise would be to strip all the settings from the card and start from scratch seting up all the values manualy.

Originally posted here by zencoder
    Ok, looks to me like there's no default route. So anything outside 192.168.1/24 is unknown to the box and it doesn't even send it out the wireless connection.

Any takes on this?
    That would be a good place to start.

Code:
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1

do i need to add that line in the wlancfg-DEFAULT configuration?

No. Just issue it as root. It will add the route to your routing table. If it solves the problem, then you can change a config file to do it on boot (where depends on your distro) or at the very least you can add it to your local boot script (found in the directory of your init scripts).