Thread: Dual Boot Win & Rh9

Question Dual Boot Win & Rh9

HELLO ALL ,

I HAD WINDOWS XP INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM, AND JUST RECENTLY I INSTALLED REDHAT LINUX 9 AND IT WONT BOOT. WHAT CAN I DO TO BOOT UP LINUX?

BANNED
    How did you set up your partitions? Did you put them all on one disc or on seperate hard drives? What size hard drives do you have? If you give more information I will help you set it all up.

P.S. The caps lock key is to the left of the letter A.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

The first partion was 20gbs which had windows xp. Then i installed red hat with 18gbs.
    I took windows xp off and thought i could boot red hat then, but i was wrong. i think the boot file was erased or something.

WHat does it say when you turn on your computer ? just a blank screen or ?
    O.G at A.O

Any chance you made a RH boot disk? It typically gives that option near the end of the install.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

when i start my computer it says"operating system not found." And does nothing. And i did make a start up disk but i failed. ive even inserted the cd and reinstalled the boot file to the same the partition the os was installed . It didnt work.

Well that means you've totally ****ed the install. I've had that happen once, and the way I did it was when i was formatting a HD. I grabbed a boot CD, deleted all the partitions and the MBR, and then wrote it to the drive and rebooted. Meaning you've deleted all the partitions on your HD, and you've even screwed the MBR in the process... When you installed RedHat did you tell it to remove all partitions, and then clicked on the "Yes" button in the pop up window saying yes I understand what I'm doing, and then somehow ****sered the MBR? That's the only way I can think of that gives that result. Did you read the manual?

yeah i talked to my mentor and he said if messed up sum boot file, and told me that i had to reinstall the whole os. 2 hours. now its all good tho. I just need to find some drivers for my dail modem now. hehe.