Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen-U-Wine Windows

Gen-U-Wine Windows

Anyone notice this little gem yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

Now, you can jump through more hoops than ever for the software formerly known as free. Its especially handy when you run Linux so you're **** out of luck.

If you look here you can see all the downloads with the cute little arrow in the circle require this crap now, along with these .God forbid those pirates(or Anyone not runnning Windows who just needs the file) get their hands on Sysprep or Windows Media Player.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Yeah I found that one this morning when I tried to download CopyProfile. I mean what is the point of that? I had to try and see what my lic no. was by undocking my notebook...so I went for the 'alternative but equally annoying' method....is that a damn p or a d?
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"

ahhh.. not new..
    I think this rot started back in sept or oct.....I know I had to attend to this prob 2 or 3 time on our win2k machines.. its just a pain in the a$$ for the legit users.. and the non-legit just go the warez path.. less bother
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Re: Gen-U-Wine Windows

Originally posted here by Maestr0
    Anyone notice this little gem yet?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/dow...displaylang=en

Now, you can jump through more hoops than ever for the software formerly known as free. Its especially handy when you run Linux so you're **** out of luck.

If you look here you can see all the downloads with the cute little arrow in the circle require this crap now, along with these .God forbid those pirates(or Anyone not runnning Windows who just needs the file) get their hands on Sysprep or Windows Media Player.

-Maestr0
    Yet another reason to take a step back from MS. Looks like the filesharing, warez, and torrent networks are going to get a little more work.

But seriously, I don't see the reason for this. Their "free" software is crap that can be easily replaced with Google'd freeware, and they make you buy registration keys for everything else anyways. *sigh* Oh well, M$ will be M$ I guess.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=745
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=746
    -- Be a part of the team! Join Protochaderin and help us build the game you want to play! --
    - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...m/devlogo2.gif -

Hey,

Worse still, you HAVE to use internet explorer...........talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it?

ACK! Phttt

This seems to me to just be more of the same ol' stuff when it comes to Microsoft. It seems as though they are overly protective of their income, which is much more than most people could ever imagine anyways. I think this is an m$ ploy to take advantage of people who are unaware of what's really going on, I mean who's going to pirate Windows Media Player anyway. I think the purpose is much the same as the French Maginot line in WW2, it serves as peace of mind to those that don't know any better, and for those of us who have common sense and a little bit of knowledge about this issue, it makes no sense and seems a waste. Just like the Germans going around the French deffenses by going through Belgium, people who can, will avoid the fuss and go elsewhere. With all the goings on around spyware, trojans, "piracy" and "security" m$ is trying to "protect" their most loyal customer base, the computer unsavy, from the perils of software piracy.

Quickly, let's take a vote, what software company had the most "pirated" products floating around, by this I don't mean number of different products, but volume of "pirated" products to "legitimate" products comparison? My vote goes to m$, simply because their massive market share tends to lead to that sort of thing.

My thoughts now lead me to the following conclusion. m$ is doing things like this because they are afraid, afraid of losing their lively hood, so they take advantage of the less knowledgeable by making them jump through hoops, which they will be glad to do because they don't want their identity stolen or God forbid, anything else like that. So they take their happy little Internet Explorer over the Internet, picking up whatever IE deems necessary over the voyage to m$ and they will gladly jump through these hoops and chase their tail and be good little pets for Bill and the Boys, and in the end m$ will lose some people, but these will be the ones that know what they're doing.

BigDick
    p.s. Sorry for the rant...
    --BigDick

\"When in Rome, eat Rome!\" -Godzilla

"You may choose not to validate your Windows and still obtain your requested download. However, validating now will enable faster access to the Download Center in the future when validation may be required"

for now just say no, and you can still get your downloads. At least they are warning of what may come...
    Ron Paul: Hope for America
    http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

I read through Bill Gates' biography once, and he's got a problem ever since his first piece of software... wrote some angry e-mails back then to people that were distributing some copy of BASIC or whatever. How else would he be able to get so much money with so little to offer?
    /\\

Dead Man Walking
    It sounds mor elike 1 more thing for people to bitch about and thats it. I went hrough the procsess yesterday just to see what all the fuss was. In theory the only people who should have a problem with it are the people with pirated copys. Why else would you have a problem with having it validated? If you had invested the kind of money microsoft had wouldnt you want to protect your investment? To me its not that big of a deal. You know why? cause i know mine is legit. It takes less than a minute. It takes longer than that to register for a forum but nobody bitches about that. It gets old listening to all of constantly critisize everything M$ does. If you dont like them go use linux and STFU. Me personaly I use both. They both have things that the other either cant do or does better. I have never been as frustrated with M$ as I have been some linux distro's

ok, thats it, I'm moveing to Gentoo for sure now...
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.