Thread: disable last username in login prompt for w2003/xp

disable last username in login prompt for w2003/xp

I want to be able to disable lastusername on login prompts. I have already done this for the DC's in my domain for interactive logins but want to know if the same can be done for a terminal services(rdp) session.

I can see that the local machine which initiates the session holds the last username but don't know how to disable that. I don't want to disable last username across the board locally either!
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Key: \Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Name: DontDisplayLastUserName
    Data Type: REG_SZ
    Value: 1
    Seems to be the same for Terminal Server: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260711
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO French Antique News Whore
    Administratif Tools - Local Security Setting - Local Policies - Security Option - Interactive Logon: Do not display last user nane.

You can push this key by Group Policy also.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks guys--I'd already disabled the interactive logon--just needed to find out how to do it for remote logons too.
    Thanks for the link.
    \"\'Do not despise the snake for having no horns, for who is to say it will not become a dragon?\"

AO French Antique News Whore
    If you are talking about Remote Desktop Connection from XP, go in My Document of each user, edit the Default.rdp file (Hidden File) and remove the logon for a blank one and save it. When the user gonna start Remote Desktop Connection, the blank will be change for is username.

You could also create RDP file that user will double-click to start. But if a user start the Remote Desktop Connection from the exe directly, is last logon is the same in the Default.rdp file.

Good luck.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks SDK--just what I needed.