Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Download Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta1

AOs Resident Troll
    A couple of other things I have noticed since yesterday, as I have installed on a brand new install and am now configuring to add to the network...
    is it informs you of software adding itself to the startup directory and also the redirection of the My Documents Folder (which is used in a W2003 Server)

I am sure there will be bugs...but I am also looking into what "legit" software we currently use that installs spyware....or is all just user clicking on stuff they shouldnt

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    One big deal, however. How many of you have used the BitDefender Online scan? It installs c:\windows\bdonlinescan\bdupd.dll. AntiSpyware found it as "Brilliant Digital" (notice the BD)

This tells me that the signature was based on a filename? Thats really, really bad. I doubt BitDefender uses code from Brilliant Digital. I'm about to change that filename and test if it shows up again. If it uses filenames as a sole reason to delete a file, thats a huge problem that needs to be changed.

edit
    update
    Yeah... it uses filename based signatures.
    YEP, this happened to me too Soda and I puzzled at first...and a little worried because it was on a test machine I had built with a bunch of spyware blockers I couldnt understand how it got there. Not to mention none of the other spyware detection software found it: not Spybot, Ad-aware, CounterSpy, or Spy Sweeper.

So thanks for the info, I didn't know how it got there and now understand it's false. You're right, that is a very bad way to detect spyware and would anticipate that many non-technical home users will end up crippling good/legit applications.

My take on this software is that it's a little too aggressive for the average/non-tech user who may end up removing everything found including legit stuff but the software does look good and like others said it's basically Giant's anti-spyware software which was highly rated.

I personally have tested and use the following spyware detectors:
    * Spy Sweeper by Webroot: very good
    * Spybot Search & Destroy
    * Ad-aware
    * CounterSpy by Sunbelt Software: this is basically Giant's software since Sunbelt licensed it from them; don't know what the future holds for them given the M$ purchase

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Now... I want a console from which I can manage all of this on different computers.
    Webroot has an enterprise version of Spy Sweeper and Sunbelt Software has an enterprise version of CounterSpy. Havent tried the enterprise versions, yet, but thought would mention them to ya.

I like the look and feel. Like so many others have testified it found things missed by others (nothing running just things that could in theory run/be installed). I had to run it twice before it came back clean (3rd run no spyware detected).

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Thread is so good, I made it this week's spotlight. Thank you all for your valuable insight!

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...le.php/3456221