Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: valid windows password

now i feel like a dumbass then what does that funny e thingy mean?
    Davide Coon

the e is for euro if im not mistaken...you know the standard money for the european union.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I have used alt-333 in a password before. It's nice because most kiddies don't look for a "Clubs" as the password character. You can experiment with the alt-number sequences. I created a program that uses random nimber 16 bytes that picks out of the 128 ascii set. I know there are more to use but not sure how windows will handle it.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Banned
    this is weird because my problem (i already mentioned the original thread) started w/ changing of a admin password on windows 2000 system w/ a password that begun w "@" character. after that the system refused to automatically log on the admin at the start. i also used $, %, & in the body of a password. any ideas... this was BEFORE the "computer" name was changed

all this led to my father loosing all his bussines data because of encryption... but i repeat myself

Dead Man Walking
    Well IMHO its a realy bad idea to auto log on to any account much less an administrator account. I dont even use my admin acount unless something major comes up or if i need to run updates.

Banned
    that is besides the point ... this system was a stand-alone and old (therefore it booted slow and every subsequent logon would only waste everyone's time) it was NOT NECESSARY to enforce user logon.

the problems were as follows

1. there was only one account ... admin

2. the problem was that someone turned on encryption by mistake (probably my father since he won't listen to anyone's advice)

3. the system refused to auto logon ... so your observation has no merrit since you can, after auto logon failure, log on manually and that didn't work either

i am just curious what the **** was Windows' 2000 problem w/ the password and i cannot find anything on the net

if you are curious .. the actual password was "@green$CAT%74&" why would system not accept this if it remmebered correct amount of asterix in it's own password window

encryption or not I would have used a program to reset the password, which should have still allowed access to the files that were on the computer. I believe the windows 2k disk even comes with a program that you can use that will do that. just my 2 cents.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

The only thing I can think of it that the password was changed. You didnt say if you set up the autologon by hand or if you used a tool like tweak. As you said if the problem was just with the autologon then you could just use the manuel log on and not loose any of the data. I know that windows has no problem with special characters normally but i use autologon only when I have a large number of computers to deploy where there is a need to reboot. Having said that i have a poste here that i can test your password on. I will let you know what happens.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Hi unhappy,

I just tried that password and it works just fine.

Is the user ID "admin" or "Administrator"?, it should be the second one.

BTW

€ is the Euro symbol
    £ is the Pound Sterling (GBP)

EDIT:

This link may be of interest?

http://www.securityconfig.com/softwa...dows_2000.html

And if you have $199, this may help:

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

Originally posted here by lucktsm
    I have used alt-333 in a password before. It's nice because most kiddies don't look for a "Clubs" as the password character. You can experiment with the alt-number sequences. I created a program that uses random nimber 16 bytes that picks out of the 128 ascii set. I know there are more to use but not sure how windows will handle it.
    Interesting - I have a Sony Vaio which doesn't have a numeric keypad. There are small numbers on keys M, J,K,L,U,I,O,7,8,9 (0 - 9 respectively), along with other small characters on some of the other keys. I hoped that they would allow me to use ALT-Fn to invoke them. I tried the combination in Word 2003 - nothing. I tried <ALT-Fn L> in notepad and it gave me a <Heart> whilst <ALT-Fn U>, <ALT-Fn I> and <ALT-Fn O> gives other card suit characters.

Any idea how I can use ALT in combination as suggested originally (other than using an external keypad!)?