Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me remove files

Help me remove files

I am having several problems with my computer.

First, I am inundated wth popups. I cannot visit certain website. Links on other sites don't work. I can't send an email from hotmail or aol. Any site using Java doesn't work. Sometimes a site will load for a second and then the screen goes white. These problems are crippling my computer

I have installed Adaware and SpyHunter. When it's time to delete the corrupted files, some of them get deleted and some don't. I have tried to delete them manually, but haven't had any luck. I have Windows XP. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Looks like you know how to find programs,\

Download ad-aware(which you already have) and spybot and you can download the Microsoft antispyware tool also, boot into safe mode, scan computer, remove files, scan with AV, remove viruses (if any), check what starts up at boot, switch a browser ( Firefox recommended) (no pop-ups), download adblock extension (no ads) and you should be fine. Im tired of these threads so if anybody wants to give him a longer explanation how to do all this, be my guest !
    O.G at A.O

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Oh goody, another one

I'll write it out as a complete list, even though you say you have AdAware.

1) The best defence against these progs is to download, update and use the following :

AdAware SE : [url]http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/[/url

SpyBot S+D v1.3 : http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

CWShredder : http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract..._download.html

Originally from http://www.merijn.org

he has sold it to intermute, whilst on there found this :

Small update: I've been seeing more and more cases of infections by trojans that kill any antivirus or antispyware programs you try to use and remove them. For such cases, I created a standalone version of the 'Itty Bitty Process Manager' inside HijackThis. It should be a bit harder for trojans to detect, since it has no window caption. If they do start targeting it by filename, rename the executable before running it and you should be good to go.
    So I'd recommend itty bitty process manager too. Download from the merijn site url'ed above.

I've recently 'discovered' macecraft : http://www.macecraft.com/
    Download regsupreme, a real easy to use reg cleaner. Just exercise caution when you do use this, as in the case of ANY reg cleaner, once used --------------- GONE.
    It is a 30 day trial, and it's only a few $$ to buy.

But it IS easy to get to grips with, I did it

I also use swatit : http://swatit.org/
    Slow, but it does its job well.

There are lots of options out there, and this is by no means an exhaustive list.
    But everything on this list I have used, and am happy to recommend.

There is ANOTHER way to keep your system safe[er] when online ..............DON'T CLICK ON WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ................... /rant

To help keep these in 'order', I open a new file in 'program files', called 'security', download each one to there.
    On your desktop, in the tool bar at the bottom [default position] of the screen, right click, and click on toolbars, click on 'quick launch'.

Right click inside the quick launch area, [if none seen, right click toolbar, click on 'unlock toolbar'.] select open folder, inside there, right click and select 'new folder', label it 'security'.
    Close it down, you will now have a folder ion in the quick launch section.

Go to the security file, open each application, and right click on the .exe that would open it.
    Select 'send to desktop'. You now have all the shortcuts on your desktop.

Click on the security folder in quick launch, reduce the size of the window so that you can see the short cuts, drag and drop each one into the folder. Close folder. You now have your security tools ready to use at a moments notice ....................

Just remember :
    Security tools are only good WHEN THEY ARE USED.

Update weekly :

Use them in safe mode [on start up hit F8 every second, until a screen opens up, with a menu of 'safe' options.]

If your XP is Home edition, then 'Safe' mode is where you will find your 'administrator' account.
    Use this when cleaning.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Dead Man Walking
    By the way since these 2 arogant asses (just kidding guys) have decided not to inform you of this safe mode can be reached my pressing f8 repeatedly while the computer is booting. I saw repeatedly because I have found that if you dont pkeep taping it you will miss your chance to get in.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I have a bone to pick with swatit. I hear it's good and stuff, but it is REAL SLOOOOOW, but I can live with that. But my main problem is, whenever I check for updates, it says no updates available. Swatit has not downloaded ANY updates since I downloaded it, which was months ago, like... august. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

This type of threads keep appearing...the solutions is to download adaware, Spybot S&D etc... all the replies are same over and over again. I think it will be better for someone to write a good tutorial (include listing down all the possible programs) on how to remove those malware so that everyone can refer to it.

Originally posted here by ZomBieMann77
    By the way since these 2 arogant asses (just kidding guys) have decided not to inform you of this safe mode can be reached my pressing f8 repeatedly while the computer is booting. I saw repeatedly because I have found that if you dont pkeep taping it you will miss your chance to get in.
    Use them in safe mode [on start up hit F8 every second, until a screen opens up, with a menu of 'safe' options.]
    *cough* You were saying, ZomBie .............

[edit] to the Duck :

I can't remember the last time that I got any updates from Swatit.
    message to self : find out wtf is going on ?
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Duck :
    Swatit didn't update for me, so I've re-installed it, and re-registered with the original code.

NOW it updates ..............

In the EMail that contains the code, there is a Q+A section of why it sometimes fails to register/update.
    If you cut and paste, and cut a little too much, putting a blank into the number,then you get the problem.

So, re-install, and re-register, take care with the code number.

Hi Zombie~...................good point, that is one thing that was in WindowsME that I really liked, if you held down the uppershift key whilst it was booting it took you into safe mode with 100% success rate.................they should have carried that into XP IMHO.

EWIDO is worth a look, new kid on the block, with a pattern file of around 90,000. You get a trial, when it has interactive protection, but when that expires you can still update and run the on demand scanner free of charge for private users. It has found stuff that the others did not

Cheers

allot of malware will prevent your computer from reaching a large list of update sites and sites that can help you fix the problem. sometimes you can see this in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) but lately it seem to be done mostly by a dll hooking your dns settings).

open the hosts file in notepad. if you find entries for ms and av update sites resolving to 127.0.0.1 clear all the sites listed and save the clanges. try getting updates again. if you still can't your got to find the bugger thats preventing it

get pslist.exe and psservices.exe from www.systernals.com and put them in the search path.

open a cmd prompt and enter

pslist -t >serv.txt

then:

psservices >>serv.txt

then:

tasklist /svc >>serv.txt

post serv.txt here as an attachment

a hijackthis log would be nice to see too
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”