Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiss the 1st Amendment goodbye!!

Of course this sort of attitude of students is just as prevalent is other "western" nations, MM, such as Canada, where the press coverage is, if anything, even more biased and controlled than the US.

The matter of disinterest of people of that age group is common.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I have to agree with gold eagle. When I was in high school, I couldn't possibly have cared any less about my "rights". All I cared about was the right to go out, the right to hang out with my friends, the right to work, and my drivers license. And I was very much a 'normal' teen-ager. There were kids who cared, but they were the ones involved in student government, and the ones who had politically active parents.

However, as I've grown up and matured (I've been out of high school for 13 years now) my interests and concerns have changed, and so have my political views. I would say, with confidence, that had anyone polled me in high school, I would have said the same thing....the news had too much freedom, flag-burning should have been illegal (that was a hot topic when I was in high school, btw) anyone who opposed the war in Iraq (that was going on when I was in high school too) should have been sent to Outer Mongolia, and that if you had something to say that no one agreed with, you should just stop saying it, and probably have your head examined. Now, as most of you know, that isn't how I feel. I've grown, I've matured, I've developed a much greater appreciation for how we gained these freedoms, and I've developed a much greater appreciation of the need to keep these freedoms.

Maybe this is why teen-agers don't usually become 'elected officials' for a few years.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

thks deb. Maybe many of us had a similar time in school and now look back with different eyes. I'm sure I could have/should have been more involved at that age but... c'est la vie.

I'm trying to raise my son to be more politically aware than I was, but you have to temper it with the knowledge that you're dealing with a child. They just don't care. That's what being a child is about. You learn, you grow, you mature, and you change. Some grow and mature faster than others, and some do it slower.

What is interesting to me is that my husband and I have been together for 8 years now. Our political views and opinions have done an almost complete about-face since we met each other, and they continue to evolve. I'd love to talk to some of the teens on AO in 10-15 years, and see how their opinions have changed. And they will change, because I was every bit as "dedicated" to my opinions when I was younger as I am now. However, as your situation in life changes, your opinions and views change. This is what life is about, and as far as I can see, change indicates growth, so all is well with the world.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Yeah. remember this quote "youth is wasted on the young". heh heh. What's most refreshing is to hear all this stuff from the teens and know that they will soon lose their concrete opinions just as sure as old buildings come down for new ones.