Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise Spyware Solutions

Enterprise Spyware Solutions

has anyone been evaluating enterprise anti-spyware solutions for use on their networks?

i'm in the midst of evaluating a few myself, and would love to get a real discussion going on the pros and cons. (no website links necessary i've feel like i've read them all) what i need is some real-time experience-sharing.

thanks!

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Wow, what a timely post. I don't have anything to contribute (yet), but I'm currently testing Microsoft's Antispyware Beta, and I'm talking with a CA rep. trying to get an eval copy of ePest Patrol downloaded.

I'll certainly contribute when I have something to offer.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

rock on zencoder!

i jsut started evaling pest patrol, actually. (just as a heads up it was like 3 weeks before a rep called me from there and then she said i had dl'ed the test already, but umm..i hadn't.)

in any case, i've checked out Tenebril's SpyCatcher, Webroot's SpySweeper and Intermute's SpySubtract so far.

I'm passing on MS/Giant as they don't have a managment console.

I must admit, and it surprises me, SpySubtract is kind of coming out on top.

have you designed your testing methodology yet?

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Negative on the methodology. Hell, I don't even have an approved (or formally proposed) project. I just know my client doesn't have anything.

They are a pretty heavy MS shop, though, so I suspect they'll lean that way. I got a callback from CA the next business day...but the same deal:
    ca- "How do you like the software?"
    me- 'Uhm, I'm still waiting for you to send it to me.'
    ca- "Oh, uhm, ok...lemme look into that..."
    me- /* still waiting to hear back, 5 days later */

Webroot and Intermute should pay this guys commission when CA doesn't. I don't have time for crap like that.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

hah! so it's not just me then. Doesn't make me want to do business with them if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand's doing.

in any case, they're pretty expensive as well.

here's an interesting article that mgiht help you design - i wish i had it when i was first trying to figure out how to dirty my machine:

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

i can't really say i agree with his test results tho. Nor have i had the focus to sit down and compare the way he has. Maybe one day when i have more time, or perhaps the next round of tests, when i throw these things on the domain. we're a straight windows-shop too.

We were using adaware enerprise, but thats sort of flakey, right now we are using the MS beta and gvit it a go. So far its pretty good. Im planning on doing a write up/review on them once we have made our final decesion on what to do.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

thanks XTC46! what did you find flaky about adaware enterprise? i actually didn't even know there was an enterprise version of adaware.

it's not one of my favorite programs in any case.

it was ok, but we had alot of problems with definition files randomly crapping out and errors popping up becasue of it, this confused alot of our users becasue they thought it was a virus so they would panic and stuff. Also it wasnt playing very nice with terminal server. and also small details like the windo not closing, just minimizing on some computers, things like that. it was effective at doing its job, but I think we can find better.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

thanks for the heads up. i had some problems like that with tenebril's product. as i said, right now, SpySubtract is my favorite.

I'm a bit concerned tho, because it finds all sorts of odds and ends, but even after a cleaning, spybot standalone finds some leftovers still too.

i don't know if that's jsut due to a difference in sigs or what tho.

Originally posted here by Tryska
    I'm a bit concerned tho, because it finds all sorts of odds and ends, but even after a cleaning, spybot standalone finds some leftovers still too.

i don't know if that's jsut due to a difference in sigs or what tho.
    That's been my experience as well ... that in addition to all that I've read recommending more than 1 spyware detection product tells me to hold off on an enterprise product until things get a little more stable. I'm concerned I'll pay all that money, telling management that it will help against the spyware problem, then have to go back and ask for more money for a 2nd product. And going to them to ask for funding for 2 products will just get me laughed out of their offices.

For now we are running shareware products on the desktops and running Snort to monitor for infected machines "chatting" out to Internet. Less than ideal but is all I got right now.

I will say that I'm quite impressed with Webroot's SpySweeper standalone version but dont know what their enterprise solution looks like.

Keep us posted on your testing.