Thread: Gen. "Mad Dog" Mattis

Banned

Gen. "Mad Dog" Mattis

Wow... at least this bronze star general is honest

"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with you, I like brawling... you go into Afghanistan; you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them.''
    He was asked to portray the "grim picture of war".... heh.

********** |ceWriterguy
    George Patton was the same way. This man is at the extreme end of things however - Most of the brass I ever met or had dealings with don't like making war, and only do it when they must. That *might* be why he's only wearing one star instead of two or more.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Ah good old Patton

"No one ever won a war by dying for his country, you win by making the other sonofabitch die for his"
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Every unit needs its psycho ........

There was some research into combat, where they worked out [?] that only 2% of the combatants were actually killing ...............

American Civil War : one Union soldier found dead on the battlefield, had 23 shots loaded into his rifle : He'd stood side by side with his friends, and gone through the routine of loading, but didn't fire .................

The US Army now utilises training that emphasises the killing more now, and, as seen on TV, the pay back is now.

the research didn't actually say it, but those 2% should of / would of [in peacetime] been locked up.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    There was some research into combat, where they worked out [?] that only 2% of the combatants were actually killing
    And that is why the most effective units in the world congregate the highest number of that 2% together in the same unit based on a selection process that determines the likelyhood of each candidate being able to carry out the mission while still being stable individuals in peacetime... Those that fail, and often they aren't given a concrete reason as to why they "failed" are RTUed, (Returned to Unit), or transferred to another unit prior to the training being given that completes the needs of their "psychotic" nature....

It seems to me there are four primary levels of people in this world.

1. Those who the thought of combat, for whatever reason, is repugnant..... It is my experience that many of these use the repugnancy of combat as something of an excuse for their fear of it. That's not to say they are all cowards, though cowards are all well represented in this group.

2. Those who join because it is a good idea, they look cute in uniform and it has benefits such as learning a trade, getting university cheap afterwards etc. and never contemplate the possibility that they may ever be asked to fire a weapon, (or have one fired at them), in anger.... I never really understood this group.... there's a denial amongst them that I always found unfathomable.... But they do serve a useful purpose in the military as long as they are B Echelon, (behind our lines), or further away....

3. Those who join because they know it's a good thing to do and think they can do the job effectively and well. These guys are the majority of your front line soldiers. They aren't there to learn a trade they are there to do the job many won't do.... And they are pretty damned effective... These are the "boots on the ground".... These form the well trained, coherent units that do the bulk of the dull, boring yet very dangerous work.... They do it without complaint and they do it well....

4. Lastly, there are those that join because they know it's the right thing to do for them because they know that they can do the job of an infantryman which, as defined, is "to close with the enemy and kill him". That's a slightly different person..... They aren't psychotic, idiot wierdo's.... They are usually of higher intelligence than those in group 3, not always, but often. These people tend to populate, (if they survive the selection process), the better units in each country's military. These are the people who can understand the mission from a bigger picture view, that can place the enemy in their sights in the same category as a figure 11 target, (a figure 11 is a standing man sized taregt), and treat him as just that, a figure 11 target.

The poeple in the fourth group is what we are talking about..... These are the Ladies and Gentlemen who have the 'right' attitude to the job..... Yes, it's a dirty job, but if you aren't enjoying your job your should probably seek alternative employment.... While you might argue that he's a General and doesn't pick up a weapon in combat and get "down and dirty" with the enemy.... He most probably has at some time.... he didn't join as a General you know....

He's a fighting man..... So he told someone he enjoys the whole process and his reasons for doing it..... Why is that a problem?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    He's a fighting man..... So he told someone he enjoys the whole process and his reasons for doing it..... Why is that a problem
    We should be glad that there ARE people who are prepared to do the dirty work, that we wouldn't / couldn't do.

but if you aren't enjoying your job your should probably seek alternative employment....
    Goes for ALL work, not just the armed forces.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yes, at least he is honest about it. Wonder how many are not who share a similar view.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.