Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experts predict Firefox spyware will show up this year

zencoder - damn - I would I'd paid more attention now to the bugzap message. I think it was an update but not completely sure.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Of course this will happen. its just like people saying that *nix/mac has no virusis and winows sucks becasue it does. THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THESE THINGS GO FOR MASS!!!! which ever program has the higest amount of users is the one they focus on. when firefox was not popular they didnt target its exploits. EVERY PROGRAM HAS EXPLOITS!!! If windows were to disappear, and Mac became the most popular, then Macs would have tons of virusis. same thing here. and if/when google comes out with a browser and everyone switches to that, then IT will have tons of spyware.

I dont understand why people dont get this concept. yes, some programs are written better then others, but its impossible for one person to write a piece of "perfect" code. even if its a group of people testing the code, looking for holes, they are bound to miss one. and that one missed glitch will be exploited by one of the thousands of people that write spywar/virii/etc.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Programs have bugs, or issues, as they are commonly called, which is the result of their being made by people, which are also not perfect. The main issue with spyware is that entirely too many people are unaware of how they get it, and not to mention the fact that some types are entirely too easy to develop. Google has a large amount of potential for datamining, which I'm positive that they already use anyway. A search engine is only as good as the relevance of the data, and because of this they need to maintain what data is relevant to the most people in order to make that a priority. This is known as job security. The potential risks of this activity are phenomenal. Because of the massive amounts of information maintained by the people at Google, it is entirely possible that if their system were compromised millions of people would have information available to people who don't really need it or have the real right to access it. Gmail accounts, etc. will all be included in this. If users are afraid of spyware, I have one solution, use a text based browser such as lynx. Ohh and another thing, firefox happens to be open source and the development of it is much faster and more active than it is for IE. So that if some code is found to be vulnerable they could, in theory, patch it to fix that portion of the code before the vulnerability to spyware could be taken advantage of. One thing that it is important to remember is that Firefox moves at the speed of open source and IE moves at the speed of snails.

Every piece of software that has/will ever be made will have bugs, lots of them, its the speed with which they are dealt that makes all the difference
    --BigDick

\"When in Rome, eat Rome!\" -Godzilla