Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

I find it very interesting that MS has released this tool without so much as a whisper in this months patch list.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

It is supposed to remove:

• Berbew

• Blaster

• DoomJuice

• Gaobot

• Korgo

• Mydoom

• Nachi

• Netsky

• Randex

• Sasser

• Zafi

• Zindos

From the main site, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

you see this interesting little tidbit: "The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the background and then deletes itself. To determine if the tool removed any malicious software, please review the log file."

What's uncle Billy up to now I wonder?

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

It must have come out with January's patches because it been there for a few weeks.

I think it prescans and only downloads if you're infected. I tried it on some test machines and it never downloaded, according to the update page anyway.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

billy might be buying up some "insurance" as soon his empire <cue d vader entry tune> will be releasing more repurchased software in this area, and they are testing things.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Regal Making Handler
    What's uncle Billy up to now I wonder?
    Possibly looking to incorporate it in the OS??
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

well, you can dl the program, but im wondering if it actually can remove the virii in standalone form, or if it needs a connection ot the internet. I guess I need to install one of those virusis on a lab machine when i get a chance.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    Dunno for sure what Billy's doing, but he stuck it in a critical download (one of 10 I got forcefed this morning)... Perhaps he's thinking on getting into antivirus as well as spyware tools?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

They've had a limited version of this for a while, but they were specific to different viruses. It used to be the "mydoom removal tool" or something like that, and they didn't show up for all computers as a critical patch.

the grand irony from my POV is that all these new security softwares wouldn't be necessary if the Uncle Billy just fixed the damn problems in the first place.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Every month, they will release this software with the latest removal tool for the latest virus. They done it in January, they did it in February and they'll do again.

It's to help people to get rid off virus/Trojan that they normally don't know they catch if they don't have an update anti-virus.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Ok not bad that Microsoft is bringing out a Tool that can remove Malicious Software but it can be deletet by a Trojan. When you bring something out to the Market please take time and do it right at the firt time and not like Uncle Billy Boy totally wrecked.