Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sql

Sql

I have just started to learn over the past few weeks, SQL.

I have downloaded and installed mysql interpreter and administrator but everytime i go to connect I get a message that says i can't connect to the localhost and I get the same message when I try to run it through command line.

What exactly does this mean? what other hosts can i try to connect to?

And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get started with this?

Any info on SQL and accessing and finding databases is welcome as I am new to SQL and will undoubtedly learn something from every post/reply.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Getting Started might help. The error you are getting probably looks like this:

$ mysql msmittens@localhost
    ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'msmittens@localhost'
    If you had other MySQL servers you could remotely connect to them. All that the error is saying is that you do not have permission to connect to the database from the localhost (that is, the account isn't setup). That said, what is the command you are using (specific syntax) and what is the exact error?

BTW, the Developer Zone @ MySQL can be an excellent (and FREE) resource.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi mom!

Re: Sql

Originally posted here by IcSilk
    I have downloaded and installed mysql interpreter and administrator (...)
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you actually install a SQL-server (or do you have access to a SQL-server?)

What your message is saying is that it cannot connect to a SQL server. It's either not there, or not configured with the username and password you provided.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

The server is there - and here is the error that I recieve -

Error message

FYI - MySQL Administrator is just a GUI for MySQL and is not needed, but as I said - I can't run MySQL from the command line either.

As for the exact syntax of the code - I haven't used any at this point,

I have only made it to the Login Screen

The farthest I have made it past this screen is the error message in the previous hlink.

I could post screenshots of the steps to the configuration process, as well - but noone wants to sort through them and I can't see a reason for it - that being said, I used the default server options throughout and followed direction.

As for my firewall (not mentioned yet - but im practicing pre-emptive replying) I use EZ FW and if anyone is familiar with it, I did - - - firewall -> main; and added TCP port 3306 for incoming and outgoing then I did - - - program control -> programs and allowed both server and administrator access and server rights.
    If I didn't do something I should have or did something I shouldn't have and someone is familiar with EZ FW, then please, by all means let me know.

Thats about all I can muster for this reply - any more questions or suggestions I will surely answer and listen to.

Thanks

And when I get this message when I try to run an .exe

Can't run window

Please someone tell me what is going on ............

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is the MySQL database/server actually running?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I assume yes, msmittens, as I got alot farther after I configured my firewall than before i did - lol.

Is it a app that is constantly running like ex. Kazaa or Norton Auto-protect.
    or does it shutdown after use - remember i have not yet used it (which is a lame excuse to say that I'm not sure).

The system tray seems active at times and non active at others ..

One thing I remember is that you have to DL a mirror and then install .. I didn't know about this when I did it and am still feeling a bit dubious about it .. could that make any differance?

BTW nice website msmittens, your blogs are a bit more interesting than the majority of them.

i ahve a vague memory form when i ran a mySQL server on test PC that it showed a small traffic light icon in system tray which had a green light when active - do you have anything like that?

v_Ln

I have recently uninstalled MySQL and just kept the .zip file - not because I don't want to use it, but because I wanted to wait to get proper instruction . .

I did install the system tray icon, and there was , at times the red light and yes there also was the green 'running' light too - but I still wasn't able to log on

still got the messages that I posted earlier.

If you still want a place to play with SQL let me know. I have a dedicated server with MySQL installed with PHPmyADMIN that will allow you to play with your SQL commands.

If you want to play with it let me know.
    =