Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robotic ball that chases burglars

I think if it had some type of projectile it would be much better. that would stop people running up stairs lol.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

It actually has some potential if it started atop some stairs.. It could then drop on the intruder's head... It's sort of cool in strange way. I can think of a better alternative.. It's called a pissed off dog.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Hi mom!
    I know I'm from a backward place, but we already have something like this! It's called 'dog' and works on ambulances and fire-engines too!

Seriously, I don't think you'll be hearing much of this: "Oh, quick, get out! RUN! RUN! A black ball will be here any minute! The horror! The horror!"

Now, replace 'ball' with 'dobermann'...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

the whole thing about balls is that there rolling resistance is quite low, and I dunno what material this is using so the co-eff of friction could be pretty haigh or at the other extreme pretty low. cos if you do the maths bringing a 10lb ball to a halt at 20mph is quite a bit off force, coupled with the roundness its a wounder this thing doesnt cause more property damage than the burglur, then your probably not covered by the insurance becuase most companys have to pay extorsonate rates for robotic equipment insurance.

Id far sooner club the burglar I think that unleash some expensive toy, if i were the burgluer id get it to chase me into the back of my van and then yoink the robot as well.

i2c

stuff security...

think robot warz..

"Battle of the Balls" .. put a bunch of these on a football field, a few obstructions, a suitable weapon (paint ball gun of course) and a web camera mounted inside and a wlan link back to a users PC and let the battle begin..

Id far sooner club the burglar I think that unleash some expensive toy
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Or...better yet...make 200,000 of them, program them to find Bin Laden, drop them in the Middle East , and sit back and watch the bowling match begin !

" Today on Fox Sports: Bowling for Bin Laden, this week the site of the match will start in Syria...place your bets on which ball finds Bin Laden and detonates on target ! "

/somewhat off-topic

This is kind of eerie ...............back in the late 1960's, early 1970's we had this cult TV series called "The Prisoner" (Patrick McGoohan)..............the perimeter of this prison (Port Merion IRL) was guarded by giant demented beachballs...............30 years later................

Aluminium bats?..................aren't baseball bats supposed to be made of hickory?...............I seem to recall that my softball bat was made of ash, and my cricket bat is certainly willow.

/

nihil...I think I saw that movie...or something like it...every once in awhile I get a kick out of those old low budget thrillers ( eg. Attack of the Killer Tomatos ) when you're in the mood for something off-the-wall.

"Aluminium bats?"...yeh...sorry to say but wood's being slowly cast aside...even in hockey they have some aluminium sticks. choppin' down an aluminium tree just doesn't have the same traditional feeling...what's next...aluminium Christmas trees !?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Aye Nihil, aluminum. I wouldn't want to ruin my good Louisville Slugger on said ball were it metal - they're scarce these days.

Oh yes, it's sad but true, we are doomed to make fictional props into reality - such is our technological bent.

I think Undertaker and Egal are both onto something here - robot wars, bowling for Ben Laden, let the wagers commence! (bet the little weasel wouldn't last 2 days with that many chukker balls rollin round - my ankles have sympathy pains.)
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Talking Speaking of bowling

Speaking of bowling, think how much you game would improve with a modified one of these!