Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robotic ball that chases burglars

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Robotic ball that chases burglars

Hrmm... Gore, how's this to keeping you out of server rooms you ain't supposed to be in?? Talk about physical security!

Source: Telegraph News UK

A large black ball, originally designed by Swedish scientists for use on Mars, could be the latest weapon in the war against burglars.

The device, developed at the University of Uppsala, acts as a high-tech security guard capable of detecting an intruder thanks to either radar or infra-red sensors. Once alerted, it can summon help, sound an alarm or pursue the intruders, taking pictures.

It is capable of travelling at 20mph, somewhat faster than a human being. Even worse for intruders, the robot ball can still give chase over mud, snow and water.

The ball relies on an internal pendulum to control its motion which, when shifted, changes the centre of gravity and starts it rolling.

Other devices, including microphones, cameras, heat sensors and smoke detectors are mounted on its central axis.

Nils Hulth, co-founder of Rotundus, the company which is marketing the ball, said it was especially well-suited to patrolling perimeter fences.

The prototype, just under 2ft in diameter, weighs about 10lb. "It is extremely light, which is why it moves so fast," Mr Hulth said.

While the current version can only raise the alarm, it could be adapted to corner an intruder if the customer wanted, Mr Hulth added.

Patrick Mercer, the Tory MP who is campaigning to give people greater rights to defend their property against burglars, thought the robot ball could have potential: "It would be interesting to see whether the ball had used grossly disproportionate force or whether it would be deemed reasonable.

"But I would much rather a burglar be terrified of householders and shopkeepers, rather than some sort of futuristic device."
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

IM bretty sure getting hit in the ankels by a 10lb ball at 20mph would deter me from trying to break into places...
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

The doggon thing would definitely not be a kick-ball. Could you imagine if someone thought otherwise? The foot pursuit would be rather short with the crook hobbling along with a broken foot. (Although Gore might be able to use his Bass Guitar as a 3 Wood and launch the bugger out about 250yds.)

Anyway back on track, it’s a great idea. So equip it with a motion detector and pepper spray/red dye combo and the crook will be easily found (make sure your pets go home with you before turning the thang on!)
    Connection refused, try again later.

It would need some kind of defense or offense otherwise it would be very easy to stop this oversized bowling ball simply by dropping a desk or shelf on it...or even throwing a blanket on it...or locking it in a room.

Now...if it was equipped with police caliber tazers capable of shooting charges 20 or more feet, and gave out 10,000 volts if you touched it, or anything else that wasn't grounded...now that would be a deterent.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Now you'll see people stealing those instead, haha...infrared or thermal cameras? Expensive deterrents like that will easily be stolen and modified accordingly. Not to mention, what defines a crook versus a cleaning person or someone who stayed late? You know how end users will take to this, rofl...

Good concept..one method I just thought of that's a lot easier than voltage or spray (which are easily worked past)...sound. Get a few grand decibels going and that'll cause anyone to not go near it.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

********** |ceWriterguy
    I had to giggle when reading this - and I kept picturing that wonderful new hi tech gadget called the baseball bat. Amazingly enough, they can't seem to invent technology that's immune to it. I wonder what one in the aluminum variety would do to that 10lb ball...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Aye, Matey...speakin' o' bats...more than once I've thought of takin' a good ole' Louisville slugger to this ere' computer...unfortunately...the only bats around my house are either of the flying kind or the plastic kind my kids use !

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Uhm, I can think of one way to easily defeat it.

Climb some stairs.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

yea, it has ALOT of weaknesses. but it would still be fun to have for say a jail yard or something at night. Big open area. dark.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

********** |ceWriterguy
    I dunno. I suppose I wouldn't mind one for my backyard, to chase off the pets of neighbors who refuse to control them... Is it weatherproof?
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!