Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is spyware?

lokeshdb_ms

Strictly speaking a "virus" has to "infect"....... it spreads by attaching or inserting itself into the Master Boot Record or an executable, or even by embedding its executable body into an apparently non-executable object.

No criticisms folks..............I just tried to compress maybe 30 pages into 3 lines

In general, I suggest you look on all bad stuff as "malware"............the damage is different, the methodologies are different.............but you don't want them on your box? and you need different tools to deal with them.

Cheers

EDIT: sorry val~ I forgot to respond, you are quite correct for the UK, I was being much more general...........most people would not understand the difference between those who "charge" them and those who "bill" them. I was saying that the TELCOS do the "billing".........just like a bank will handle a direct debit, fraudulent or otherwise?

thanx pals for such great replies,

it help me a lot to get rid , of my confusions.
    and nihil i will keep that into my mind.

/*the damage is different, the methodologies are different.............but you don't want them on your box? and you need different tools to deal with them.*/

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    in a nutshell:

spyware=bad

^_^
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

originaly ...

Ad-ware - was the software that distributed advertising banners to a users PC
    Spy-Ware - was the software that relayed the users browsing habits to some advertising Co.
    Trojan Horse - Was a program promoted one function but delivered a lot more. These are normaly associated with Remote control software, keyloggers.
    Virus - Was a program that had a primary purpose of spreading from machine to machine. that is to replicate.. the pay load varied from a simple hello message to destruction of the users system.
    Worm - A malware program that propagates with out the users intervention
    RAT or Root Kit - see Trojan horse
    Keylogger - see trojan horse
    HiJacker - Part of the current blight, this software will HiJack various aspect of your PC, from Browser Home page, to your Shell/Gui
    Parasite - What some of us refer to the spyware/adware of old and the easy to remove shite of today.
    Malware - the reference we use for all software that results in undesirable operation (over and above those inherient in the operating system) of the users PC
    Dialerware - the stuff that installs the dialers

Now:
    What we are removing from peoples machines isn't plain spyware, it isnt plain adware .. it is Malware at it finest.. it is a combination of poorly tested software, malware of the virus and trojan variety, throw in some stealth technology, the ability to render useless the protection that users place in their machines to protect from the "true" virus's to allow the resident malware to install the rest of it's package..

I propose a new name for this damageware.. I would love to call it ****ware, crapware, or screwedWare.. but may of us will be useing it when talking to friends and relitives..

Bugware? nah too microsoft
    MolasisWare.. to discribe how well the data flows after infection
    JesusWare - All you can do now is pray
    NukeWare - sometimes the best way to remove it
    CrashWare - too Windows 2.2
    SeltBeltWare - it is a rough ride..better strap in
    AlienWare - in cyberspace no one can hear you scream (not to good with a PC manufacturer of same name)
    UFOWare - Unidentified ****ing Objectionable Code (or Universally FO)..
    CondomWare - what could be the thin last line of defence.. or ya better ware one(could also refer to where this **** started from)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

hmm I add to my list

Dumbware - to describe the end user of the software - the authors rely on the dumb
    Scumware - supplied by Scum
    RapeWare - It screws the computer and the user into submission, and now is doing the same with the Law by sueing the Anti-spyware co's
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Allow me to be frank...
    /nick Frank

Okay, to me, Spyware is any software installed when I want to view a website, a movie, anything. It is software that I dont want, that you wanna give me because you will make money or some sort of monitary gain from it being on my PC. Idownload is guilty, because I dont want their stupid search bar that causes 800 popups when i use it. Spyware pisses me off beyond all things past. Spyware is worse than Spam.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2