Thread: I think I fried my computer

Thumbs down I think I fried my computer

Here's the story-

I was installing FreeBSD 5.3.. Everything was going smoothly until.. in the middle of the installation it said that it couldn't find the package for Perl. So I press enter thinking it will skip it and I can install it later.. Well, it tries to install it again and comes up with the same error.. I press enter about five times but it always does the same thing.

I Alt-F4 to the recovery console and type shutdown -h now. It says it's shutting down but nothing happens. Halt has the same result. I said screw it and flicked the power switch on the back of the computer.

Now for the kicker. Now when I start it back up again, nothing happens. The light on the monitor stays orange and the computer sits there. All the fans are running and everything seems to be working fine- if you ignore the fact that it's not booting anything up.

So I guess my question is.. What could FreeBSD possibly do that could prevent my computer from booting up, no matter what hard drive I select (with Romtec TriOS 2)?

Anyone had any experience with this kind of problem? Ideas where to start troubleshooting? I've already tried with a different monitor and got the same result..

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you getting beeps from the BIOS? If so, tell me what they are. The different beeps mean diff sorts of problems. If you aren't getting any beeps from the BIOS, then hopefully you just don't have a case speaker plugged in. Otherwise that means you are probably screwed.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Are you getting beeps from the BIOS? If so, tell me what they are. The different beeps mean diff sorts of problems. If you aren't getting any beeps from the BIOS, then hopefully you just don't have a case speaker plugged in. Otherwise that means you are probably screwed.
    Never mind, fixed the problem. It was simple as taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in.

Thanks anyway Dustin