Thread: My Software Review

My Software Review

I have tried many spyware software programs, but in the end there were only 3 total programs that I felt comfortable using, but now only 2.

1.) Spybot 1.3 - Seems like a very comprehensive and thorough program in my opinion. The company seems to be on top with it's updates, and if it detects something that is inaccurate such as dap reg keys for example that kept showing up on my seek and destroy scan detection, but they seemingly fixed the detection rules recently to counteract various erroneous detections. I rank Spybot 2nd overall of the 3 programs I liked most.

2.) Webroot Spy Sweeper 3.5.0.194 - I liked this program so much I went ahead and bought a copy this past week. This program is excessively comprehensive with up to date definitions, and helped me even eradicate the infamous Haxdoor backdoor trojan. The only drawback is that it takes up alot of resources when it scans, but is well worth the lag in my opinion. Faster proccessors don't have a problem with it. I rank this program number 1 on my list.

3.) Ad-Aware 1.05 SE - Well this program is pretty good except I had to uninstall it because the scan engine froze up at a certain point and would no longer scan for me. I contacted the company about this problem, and they told me that they would submit the bug to R & D , but the whole thing is that the program used to work fine for me, and it helped me on numerous occassions whenever I got some kind of malware or adware on my system. Hopefully a new version will be released and a more dependable scanning engine will be implemented with it. Since I had problems with this software I have to rank it 3rd on my list although for most users who have no problem with it would probably agree that it is a decent application and comes in handy.

plz post feedback..thanks, Infamy

Hey Infamy,

when your copy of Ad-adware froze up on you, was it an old version? The copy I had with this problem knew there was an updated file but also came up with an error. Only when I downloaded a fresh copy I knew they changed the name of the program to SE....as in second edition?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well this program is pretty good except I had to uninstall it because the scan engine froze up at a certain point and would no longer scan for me.
    Weird. Never had this happen to me. What else was running at the time? What OS were you using and what was the amount of disk space, CPU speed and RAM size available?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I was only running Ad-Aware 1.05 SE on Windows 2000 Pro. My disk space is about 5 gigs and my proccessor is 800 mhz. It worked fine for me up until about 2 weeks ago. It is my theory that a program called error nuker may have wiped out a certain active x control that the scan engine was dependent on, although I am not 100% sure. I even uninstalled & reinstalled several times and deleted any trace registry values as well. this problem was discussed in Lavasofts forum as well, and I am not the only one.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index...0&#entry394281

I like webroot for the simple fact that it could easily be rolled out via login script, but it seems to tax client resources when scanning and even when idle. I have a phased upgrade plan and I still have about 40 pc's that are slow AMD's with PC100 ram, and webroot kills them pretty easily. Either I will have to wait to use webroot or get these boxes upgraded soon.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.