Thread: Acronyms and Thread Status

Acronyms and Thread Status

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to suggest a sticky, probably in Cosmos or Chit-Chat ( but Chit-Chat's got too many already ) for commonly used acronyms...such as IMHO or that AFIAK ( may be spelt wrong ) ... cause I can't be the only person here who has no idea what they mean.
    I've mentioned this previously...but not in the suggestion area...and I thought I'd bring it up again here.
    They are used quite frequently...especially ones like llRC ( whatever that is ) and it sometimes makes it impossible to understand some posts when you don't know what they mean.

Secondly, I'd like to suggest that there be a sticky directly targeted to Script-kiddies...probably in Roll Call...something to the effect of Hackers enter here to attract them...and once they get inside the post will simply read Now that you're here...Please Pi$$-Off and go away or something to that effect...I think that would get the message across quite clearly and there would be less of them here to deal with.
    Kinda like P.T.Barnam's infamous " This way to the Egress "

Third and last...as much as I hate to agree with anything the Spec says...I was under the false impression that when I saw this for instance:

The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread Is: extremely positive

That this refered to, as it says, the THREAD...aparently it has little or nothing to do with the thread...because I checked about 20 of them and every one I checked...not even one said that points were given.
    So...the status of the thread is related to the points given to the posts...not the thread itself.
    So I've spent the entire time I've been here basing the value of a thread on the thread status...thinking...hey, this must be a good read it's extremely positive when in fact in some cases it was a waste of time to read and should have been negative.
    I was also under the impression that people used the " assign points to this thread " frequently and was a very popular item because of this...when in fact it seems it gets rarely used, if at all.
    I can see the value in this...if...it actually related to points given to the thread...but the way it is...it's very misleading.

Just some things to ponder.

Eg

Banned
    - Most of the acronyms can be found here: http://www.antionline.com/jargon/

IMO = in my opinion
    IMHO = in my humble opinion

AFAIK = as far as I know
    IIRC = if I remember correctly

- The "The Overall AntiPoint Status Of This Thread" message is a combination of both AP's given to the thread, and the individual assignments in that thread. A thread can be extremely positive yet all people in that thread have been negged, and vice versa.

Hi Negative,

Thanks for the link...I've seen the " Hacker Jargon " on the main page but had no interest in going there to find out what it was about...so I ignored it.
    I didn't see the relevance to normally used acronyms...but I guess on the net that's probably where most get their start.

As for " thread status " ...now that I'm aware of how it is not a reflection of points given to the thread...I'll give it less credibility in judging the quality of the thread itself...but it is definitely misleading in the way it is presented.

Thanks,

Eg

Hi Eg~

Attached file of acronyms. Sorry I have no idea where I got it from so I don't have a link.

Thanks nihil,

PERFECT ! Just the right thing !

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to nihil again.
    Next chance I get !

Eg

Secondly, I'd like to suggest that there be a sticky directly targeted to Script-kiddies...probably in Roll Call...something to the effect of Hackers enter here to attract them...and once they get inside the post will simply read Now that you're here...Please Pi$$-Off and go away or something to that effect...I think that would get the message across quite clearly and there would be less of them here to deal with.
    I've already suggested that anyone who uses the H word in their profile or in roll call should be banned. We already have warnings but those are usually about the content people like that usually drag down... instead we should just make it even more clear that I and alot of other people are going to neg anyone who tosses the H word around, period.