Thread: Finding a Linux Distro

Finding a Linux Distro

Before you guys neg me, this isn't the normal: Which linux distro is best? topic. I'm interested in learning to use linux, but I only have a pentium 2 233mhz computer with 64MB of RAM. It won't install the newest versions of the linux distros aimed more for noobies that I've tried. Does anyone know of a *current* distro that would run on this computer and be as user friendly as possible? Thanks.
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I think you might be able to find this tutorial somewhat useful. Nice tut gore, I know I found it useful, I'm gonna get mandrake ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I stated that this wasn't another normal "Which version of Linux should I use?" post because I've read that, and it doesn't have the information I need. Thanks anyway.

You can still fit freebsd or slackware default installs on that system comfortably. However, I would say you shouldn't use a bloated-ish window managers (kde, gnome, enlightenment). You don't really need something as light as BadWM or evilwm, but, something like fluxbox, blackbox, openbox, or fvwm would be perfectly fine. A 233 with 64 mb of ram is _big_ for a simple setup. Your system doesn't call for something extremely small like DamnSmallLinux, I'd say just go with any decent regular linux distro (this depends heavily on what you decide to install on the system) or bsd and you'll be fine.
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

Debian is rather compact. I run my DNS server on a old petium 75mhz with Debian. You probably wont be able to get a GUI on it. Maybe Wmaker will still run on that mechine.

As a newbie, I don't think I'd do too well without a GUI... Any other sugestions?

Re: Finding a Linux Distro

Originally posted here by Jareds411
    Before you guys neg me, this isn't the normal: Which linux distro is best? topic. I'm interested in learning to use linux, but I only have a pentium 2 233mhz computer with 64MB of RAM. It won't install the newest versions of the linux distros aimed more for noobies that I've tried. Does anyone know of a *current* distro that would run on this computer and be as user friendly as possible? Thanks.
    http://www.slackware.com

use FVWM2.

Give yourself a decent sized swap.

Cool, thanks, I'll install that tonight. Just for reference, am I using FVWM2 instead of KDE because it uses less resources or for ease of use? Thanks again!

Less resources. Plus, fvwm is very very flexible if you learn how to script it properly (although this in not necessary).
    Is there a sum of an inifinite geometric series? Well, that all depends on what you consider a negligible amount.

Check This Out ....

http://www.linuxbasis.com/distributi...ibutions1.html

All You Need to know about Linux Distros

Cheers ...
    PaCketThirst