View Poll Results: Remove "Hidden Logons"?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: Remove that option

11 52.38%
  • NO: Keep the option, I am a Troll/Trollmeister

2 9.52%
  • Who cares?

6 28.57%
  • I have another suggestion that I have posted

2 9.52%

Thread: Windows XP Service Pack 2 eXPeriences (by san’s ISC)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 eXPeriences (by san’s ISC)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 eXPeriences (by san’s ISC)
    Been surfing around about Win XP SP2’s different situation from common users, I visited SANS’ ISC (Internet Storm Center) and they have a POST-IT-HERE kind of page for whoever wants to say something about their eXPerience so far with SP2. They even have this rating summary and so far, more posters rate is “no problem”? Well, they encourage the posters to post factual experiences related to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

The intent is to help others that may run into similar problems, or to tell people what conflicts may or may not exist.
    Source here - http://isc.sans.org/xpsp2.php

But still, SANS’ ISC cannot claim that all sources were 100% accurate.

Disclaimer: We will screen the messages to make sure that they are appropriate. However, we will not verify submissions for accuracy (we just can't).
    It’s a good idea to spread GOODS and BADS in our eXPerience with SP2.

So weird that some Box eXPerienced tough times with SP2. This one is a kicker:

I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled SP2 several times now with the same results.

After SP2 is installed and I reboot, I get a blank black screen. (even after updating video drivers from DELL) and I always had to boot into "vga mode" and then change my resolution back. I got tired of doing that, so I uninstalled it.
    So far, for me, after installing SP2, never had any major problem except for the unsuccessful testing of some Firewall software that I had stopped already and a few hardware issues (Motorola modem and HP printer via USB) that had been resolved by reinstalling the drivers.

Windows XP users patched with SP2 or had problems with it, you could contribute to that page.

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif

AO French Antique News Whore
    I installed SP2 over 50 machines (Mostly IBM PC and Laptop) without any major problem. I had some small's problems with some application but that it. I never had a BSOD or any OS problem after SP2.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Either

SDK,

Hi!

Either you had followed the procedure well enough (been reading articles and such, good!) or some luck especially in branded ones.

There are lots of things happening with SP2 right now. I personally bet, we can only tell its magnificence or its failure in the long run.

For now, we can say, “problems? Yes, too much…” or “No problem at all” and the “MIX impression” but software and hardware tends to have this common idea, that the longer we use it, the better we get used to it or be pissed with it. It’s like a car, being new will have sort of reactions, excited ones, but as the journey goes, say, after few years, “forget it, I’ll buy a new one” reaction will take place.

Yo!

Personaly have had Zero problems with SP2.. Given up counting..have donted 10 SP2 disks to customers and staff.

Only problems that I have seen have been customers who have had failed attempts to install..or hardware driver issues (printers- canon in particular)

Causes of their problems..
    IMPATIENT user.. they power off before the install is finished
    Didn't Disable the Anti-Virus and Firewall..(biggest cause NAV)
    The MAchine had a pre-existinmg Family of Virus's
    The machine had a pre-existing colony of Adware-Spyware (Abortion-Ware)
    The machine was formated in FAT32
    Incompatable drivers for hardware..

Most people who have complained about the Windows XP firewall NEVER HAD A FIREWALL installed before nor did they have the old XP firewall active..

I have a simple proceedure for installing SP2:

REmote scan of the machine (-Bart PE disk).. clean any virus, abortionware etc.. do a bart Defrag
    local scan with updated AV as well as anti-abortionware
    defrag again
    if needed convert File system to NTFS
    stick machine on a UPS
    Update BIOS if possable
    Disable any protection progs - Anti-Virus - firewall - Anti Abortionware - registry protection etc
    pray (it helps with windoze)
    Install SP2
    Install Firefox..include an adblock Hosts file(if I am unable to do the next step)
    install spyware blaster or winpatrol
    tweak a couple of setting to make the machine seem to run a little faster (display/appearence settings)
    Collect cash from client
    start next job

thats the story
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I have a simple proceedure for installing SP2:
    REmote scan of the machine (-Bart PE disk).. clean any virus, abortionware etc.. do a bart Defrag
    local scan with updated AV as well as anti-abortionware
    defrag again
    if needed convert File system to NTFS
    stick machine on a UPS
    Update BIOS if possable
    Disable any protection progs - Anti-Virus - firewall - Anti Abortionware - registry protection etc
    pray (it helps with windoze)
    Install SP2
    Install Firefox..include an adblock Hosts file(if I am unable to do the next step)
    install spyware blaster or winpatrol
    tweak a couple of setting to make the machine seem to run a little faster (display/appearence settings)
    Collect cash from client
    start next job

thats the story
    - This short procedure is well-said. I'll try to catch up with it for my next job.

Thanks Und3ertak3r

Yo!

1) My machines were spy ware free
    2) My machines were anti-virus free.
    3) I check the application were not compatibilities and check for hot-fix on the manufacturer site.
    4) Did tests on a 2 tests machine with important application running on them.
    5) I took 5 users who are very good in computer and install SP2 on them. I ask them to try to find bug and stuff.
    6) Install SP2 on everyone 2 months later.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I have had MAJOR problems. But then again I use a lot of stuff. That's what happens when you start to lockdown things, and the reason it hasn't been done until now. MS could have put a firewall on their years ago, but the threats finally outweighed the usabilty? Issues:

Broken applications that required research into which exceptions to include in firewall.cpl.
    POORly design software that stopped working. Those wer replaced/updated.
    Online applications requiring pop-ups to login caused a severe headache. Some people just can't grasp the "yellow" bar concept to allow popups.
    I also had issues with auditing tools that had to be reconfigured.

Bottom line, those weren't really issues since they were all fixed before and imediately after test deployment. But those few problems that did crop up were at a great ADVANTAGE to the organization.

I followed SDKs similar fashion. If one doesn't do a little work then, yeah I guess that is a pain in the ass.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Test, Test, Test and Test... Their is a lot of poorly software out there!
    -Simon \"SDK\"