Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windows update on a CD....is it possible?

Blast From the Past

windows update on a CD....is it possible?

hello all

i was wondering if i could download all updates currently released for a given Windows version, and drop them all on a cd that i can update...

sometimes i dont want to waste the bandwith when setting up a new computer

other times im fixing a computer at a house with 14.4kbs dialup....and they need 32 updates X_X

figured this would be a good way to speed up the process

if anyone knows how this could be acomplished, or if windows already had updates on a cd *cant find anything on MS webpage* please share

thanks for your time

hex
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

I found service pack 3 for free....

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX010383631033.aspx

O.G at A.O

Hi Hex,

Sure MS have done CDs for security updates and XP SP2..........you need to phone them?

Otherwise you should be looking for the network distribution version/method from MS.......drop that onto a CD and away you go.............sorry have to go on "family duties" or I would get the links........if you cannot get a result just keep the thread alive or send a PM

Cheers

You can order them for free, ive got several security update CD's laying about, thing is when they come (took 5weeks from ordering to recieving) theres a shed load of new updates to download anyway..

For instance -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...s/default.mspx

i2c

Well, here's the deal Hex... if you run a Vulnerability scanner (things like Nessus, GFI Languard, my favorite eEye Retina... or even at a bare minimum MBSA -- MS Baseline Security Analyzer), you will be able to ascertain what vulnerabilities you have (Duh). But, a lot of the 3rd parthy apps mentioned above connect to Microsoft SUS is some way, shape, or form in order to match vulnerabiulities to Knowledge Base (KB) articles. Once you know the KB Number, you can go to the download section of Miscrosoft and search for the KB number and pull up the .exe or .cab file that is the patch to that particular issue. You can easily download all the patches you need from a place with a decent connection, burn them to a CD... but before you do, you can write a simple little batch file that qchains all the patches together (with appropriate switchs like /quiet and /norestart). That CD then becomes your best friend. I do this if I am going to a location where outband bandwidth is known to be poor (I'm in the military, so a lot of the stuff I have to use to get out to the world is slow). I update my little "Resource CD" about once a month.

It should also go without saying that you should have a CD in your library that contains the latest Service Pack for whatever flavor of OS you are working on. I still carry around NT SP 6a for no apparent reason as well as SP4 for Win2K, and SP1 with tons of patches for XP (I am personally anti-SP2 for XP).

Anyhow, good luck and I hope this helps.
    Omnipotent 0689, MCSE, CCNA
    -- Without Information Assurance, where would we be? --

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Create a Windows Update Server on a box that has a high speed and tell it to syncronize. Then go to bed. By morning you will have all the current updates for all systems in the location you told it to put them. Then start cutting them to CD... You'll probably need to create an indexing system 'cos there's a _lot_ of updates out there. Then, once you have the base CD's you can just cut one or run by date for the rest. MBSA will tell you what you need and then it's just a matter of finding the right CD and clicking on the appropriate file on it.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Blast From the Past
    the windows update server sounds like a good method Tiger shark, could you explain alittle more about windows update server...for example...is it free?...if not how much will it set me back

thanks for your thoughts guys...glad to know this is possiable

The Iceman Cometh
    It's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

All of the info you need is available on the web site.

AJ

Blast From the Past
    downloading now
    ty guys il post back with results

Heh, well... Tiger is definitely right... I didn't realize that you were in a position to stand up a SUS server, Hex... so yeah, that'll be the best. Just be prepared to peruse the "Approve" list for a while... and also, a word to the wise... ensure you only check the box for your native language (English I presume)... if not, you will download every update for every language from the MS software repository.
    Omnipotent 0689, MCSE, CCNA
    -- Without Information Assurance, where would we be? --