Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need Help: tracking activity via IP address

I am not sure whether anyone have cover this possibility. But there is also a high chance that someone remotely control the said workstation and does what is seen unacceptable to you.

I realise this thread have turn out to be more flaming than informative. At least that is how i felt as a casual forumer.

Nekenieh, maybe you should consider hiring a info-security expert to look at the overall security issue. You need to implement a complete system rather than piece and pieces of hardware/ policies that have loop holes everywhere. In this case, the access card log and the surveilance camera might be your best bet but it is highly unreliable in this case.

Some of the combination of microsoft security flaws might be putted together to remotely execute something in the said workstation.

According to what you have mention about your environment. There are far too many possibility that could have taken place and none of the consideration factor has any form of "validation" on the user ID. That makes it next to impossible to pinpoint a particular individual for commiting such act.

Hope this very much sum up everything. These is just my two cents worth while trying to help out.

This thread has gone way out of hand. It is either grand social engineering or, perhaps it is legitimate, but still way off base.

Oh, and it's "shirking" not "shurking" (perhaps that helps establish me as a professor).
    No, it means you have a spell checker.

... to those who have replied thinking that this is a hoax, or I need to learn more about the law (that's what I teach folks, so please don't lecture me), etc. - that's fine, you're entitled to your opinions, but unless you have something worthwhile to contribute, please stop cluttering up this thread.
    No, I have been here a lot longer and established myself as somewhat creditable ( unlike you ), responded appropriately to the information given, am entitled to freedom of speech ... oh, forgot, I can’t tell you about that! Never mind, I can’t go there!

it made a physical threat that was credible
    Let me understand this.
    The threat is both credible and against you physically?
    ...that was credible to the website admin, myself, the police, and my lawyer.
    So the authorities are involved ( so you say )
    You teach law ( so you say )

You post, don’t provide proper information, manipulate your site subscriptions as a first time poster ( then correct it after it is pointed out ) yet say
    ... I'm not techincally savvy -
    ( forgot to spell check that one professor, didn’t you. )

Well, hooray for you ... you are more arrogant then me, and anyone more arrogant then me is an ******* !!!!!!

Now to the nuts and bolts.
    ... I don't need "beyond a reasonable doubt" evidence, I just need enough to get the student to admit what they did was wrong, etc. (i.e. scare them into an admission - generally not too hard).
    But you said the authorities are involved. You can do NOTHING with the Dean until their investigation is concluded! Oh, you teach law, I forgot, so you already know that! That would be interfering with an investigation! And you and the Dean could be criminally charged if you did that!

And you also know that you must. repeat, must reveal all your inquiries ( these posts most specifically included ) in discovery! should it go that far, but as you said it is credible to the authorities, so I guess you will.

( those familiar with “ Sarbanes-Oxley “ already know what “ legal discovery “ is, but also goes back to my original post as to whether this is a private or government entity subject to “ public records” )

If this is an active investigation you have two choices here, and two choices only ( can anyone say obligation? ).

1) Tell the authorities ( including but not limited to, the prosecutor ) what you have done here and provide them with appropriate links

2) PM me with your name, where you work, your position, the authorities you reported it too: I will contact them and verify the situation, inform them about this thread, and quite possibly direct them in the proper direction if they are clueless.

I would prefer #1, but that is up to you ( you are the Law Professor! ). But it would be up to you ( again, the word obligation comes to mind here ) to verify that I did so!

No one knows what I do, by design, but I know a little bit about the law. ( again, the word “ arrogant “ comes to mind. That said, Gore, I don’t think we want to meet in person! )

You want something specific to go to your ” University ombudsman “ which is “worthwhile to contribute” ?

How about the time stamps? How do each of the systems involved correlate the correct time?
    I’ve seen internal systems that were so called “ synced “ to satellite time be off by three ( 3 ) minutes. Obviously, they were not “ synced” properly. To do what you wish you will have to prove the systems were properly “ synced”.

If I were You, and I am not, I would go to the admins, call them *******s to their face, apologize for their and your ignorance, do #1 above and again apologize for your ignorance, and walk away.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Heineken,

My thought was simply to try to find other activity with the same orginiating IP address at around the same time, but other/better ideas are welcome.
    First you come here requesting help with discovering who this person is...no reference at all to a dean's involvement, police involvement, or even administrative involvement...but then 5 posts later they are all involved...
    physical threat that was credible to the website admin, myself, the police, and my lawyer
    and not just involved but all find the evidence credible...but...at the same time you say they are not cooperating...
    (they've been only moderately cooperative so far, which is why I'm doing the legwork)?
    and morons...
    Ours is a pretty good sized university, so I would think they have something - I just need to tell them what to do, apparently.
    and not only do they find this credible...but are uncooperative ( do you see the glaring contradiction )...but you are one of their own...
    I need to learn more about the law (that's what I teach
    and they are still making you do all the legwork..but to go on...
    I'm not techincally savvy
    Thank-you I Know Not for pointing this out...it's: technically, not techincally!

You're a teacher of law and yet you can't get the assistance of the authorities, the police, the Dean, or the the tech staff to help you...but, instead must scour the net for help from strangers to solve your problem. Is the reason why you're not getting help from your uncooperative tech staff, your Dean, the police, and your administrators even after they have, as you said, found your case to be credible, because they can't stand you or are you just lying? If you're not lying...they must not like you very much!

You would think that someone who is a member of the staff, a teacher of law ( OPPS! Sorry...a PROFESSOR of LAW ), with the backing of a University, it's Dean, it's administrators, the police, tech staff, and a lawyer, who have all found your problem credible...would not need to ask the advice of a bunch of strangers on a forum.

And we don't even know what country or laws you are refering to because you neglected to post it in your profile and refuse to tell us in this thread.

Personally, I think you're just trying to jerk our chain!