Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delete from desktop????xp pro

delete from desktop????xp pro

hi there,
    started downloading a demo game and then decide to stop.
    so i ended up with 4 mg file on my desktop(thats where i put downloads and then instal them from there.) it shows this in property as cmd line:"C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxDesktop\swat4_spdemo_en.exe"
    how to get rid of it? or remove it from desktop.
    wehn i try it says it being used by another person or program
    thnks
    xp pro service pack 2

'lo,

you could try killing the application that is "using" the file, then delete it. failing that, try restarting then delete it after the restart.

failing that, look around these forums. one of the lads made an application that allows you to delete files that are "in use", i think.

best o'luck.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

it has 0 bytes and just sits there.if i try to sent it to my document folder it just creates shortcut ms-dos one but cant move from desctop

Try opening something like MS Word or Notepad or something, go to file, open, and browse to where the swat demo is on the desktop. Try deleting it from there. This works with AVI files that won't delete... Might fix your problem... If this doesn't work, I'll post another way you can get rid of it thats a little more difficult.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

grr it doesnt get rid of it tried notepad and word

Ok... Here's something else to try... Open notepad, make sure you don't minimize it or anything. Open task manager, and close exporer.exe proccess. Now try and delete the file using notepad. After that, go to file, new process in task manager to start explorer back up... This should work...
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Dammit the Grunt i was gonna say kill explorer, thats how i usually delete the file i can't, works everytime for me.
    O.G at A.O

AO French Antique News Whore
    Reboot and it'll happy to get delete.. Easiest way!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

rebooted and was happy but file still there?maybe little better explanation sdk???
    tried to open with notpas and everything you ecplain but when i open it in notepad in edit to delete it its grayed so i cant do it.
    file is application and has 0 bytes.
    i went little bit further as i have xp pro and used system restore suprise suprise this **** is still ther even i went back with dates before is created(((
    anything in registry i can get rid of it??
    thnks

Ahhem.. SAFE MODE !!!
    and the Command Prompt...!!!

Start in safe mode Luke..

I assume you cant delete it in safemode either huh.. you have tried?

If you unable to rename the file and therefor delete it.. then go to the Command Prompt (what some ppl call DOS MODE)
    navigate to your desk top.. c:\Documents and settings\UserNAme\Desktop
    now type "attrib swat4_spdemo_en.exe -r -s " that is without the quotes..

now try to delete it

Bloody System restore wont fix this problem.. it wont delete files only restore settings..

"Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr