Thread: files appear missing but are they really?

Question files appear missing but are they really?

ok, i deleted net history, then under disk cleanup i deleted the temp net files. are they still in existence somewheres else?
    if so how do i find them?
    by the way i'm runnin xp, and my net history of visited sites is specifically what i want to keep track of and/or remove...thnx

I'm sure that all data on your hard disk can be recovered by professional law enforcement if the disks themselves are still in tact. The only way that you can be certain of destroying data is to destroy the hard disk, so I have been told (Security classes at a local university). But, technology changes. Maybe there is a program that will write to the disk sectors multiple times that actually works?
    Is that what you're asking?

Do a google search for "PC File Recovery", then download a freeware version of the software. Then let the software scan your drive for deleted files. Search for deleted files with the proper file extension (example *.jpg), see what it turns up.

Good luck!

i dunno 727, but hypothetically, if these actions that i listed above were the only ones implemented...could i find out their personal web history thru some other means...without installing a keylogger etc...

Probably so. There was a great tutorial on this forum about the Hidden ContentIE.5 folders in the Windows OS.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...Hidden+folders

You can follow this great tutorial exactly and it will expose the hidden folders. You can follow the same procedures to expose another hidden folder as well. HistoryIE.5 can be unhidden as well. In the HistoryIE.5 there are records that are stored in the index.dat files.

Check out that link. It's a great tutorial!

AOs Resident Troll
    Guess it depends on if you are trying to find them...or hide them??

.....theres the .dat files..and you can delete them..but they always come back.

The only true way is to format and reinstall...9Xs or so.

Try this..remember nothing is truely hidden

as cpl727 has shown in the link

Heres another one...for finding stuff

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    [B]Download this application, read the instructions/help and you will see exactly what happened.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

thnx guys...appreciate