Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scam or legit... what's your opinion.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://www.echoarts.com/pll/urlbuyer...ERS-SAMPLE.htm <--- domain name sample

http://www.internic.net/index.html <-- internic logos

http://internic.ca/ <--- internic.ca logos

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I dunno... What _exactly_ are we "appraising".... It ain't a house where the value needs to be ascertained with regard to location, condition etc.

You own a domain name.... he wants it.... He can go and see who the domain registrar is at the appropriate place. If you own it and want to sell it then he can buy it. The only _real_ question is "how much does he want to pay for it?". What's to appraise?

Tell him to make an offer or go away....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Well, I think the "appraisal" is the believed value of it on the market. As in, what are others willing to pay? (sorta like a house or when companies go after employees). Given what the domain in question is -- god-save.us -- the potential for it's use in the US is huge, IMO. I could see a few Christian organizations be interested in that as well as a few Doomsday organizations.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M: Yes, I can see that too.... But it's a name... Nothing more.... What does the buyer think it's worth to him? If he offers that and the seller accepts then the "game is on"... Can he sell it for more than he bought it for?...

This appraisal stuff is rubbish and I have a horrible feeling that the "buyer" owns or has influence over the "appraisal" services so that he can buy them on the cheap.

HT: pick a nice fat price for the domain... stick to it... tell him to take his appraisals and place them where the sun doesn't shine and see what he says. He'll bitch, whine moan and complain... and every time he does tell him that the price isn't changing... period!

The scam is the appraisal.... You can't appraise something that is so subjective... It only has value to the buyer..

Send him through the "hoops" and take him for every penny he'll pay.... If you think you can still get more... which I think you will be able to.... leave him hanging.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Yup. Tell him to pay for the appraisal himself; hell, offer him a contract or agreement that you will subtract the cost of the appraisal from the sale price etc. as you mentioned. Stick to your guns that if he wants an appraisal, he pay for it. And definitely get his take on 'domain experts'. This guy is full of ****. You can do all this, or you can tell him to **** off and take his bullshit sites with him.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

.cc, .us, .tv, etc.. have all been extremely poor performing domain names. They just don't do that well. People don't remember the extension or they think the domain name itself doesn't look professional.

People are so use to seeing .com or .net that they are turned off by other domain names.. Clear Channels communication tried to make a big deal out of .cc when it first came out and it just about flopped. A specialty site such as those mentioned by MsM is the only people who would probably be interested in this site and their usage would be so low that they would not be looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a domain name. 250$ is probably a fair price if they really want the name.

As for the scam. The scam is the appraisal. You pay 65$ and get a worthless piece of paper. They won't buy the site from you at all once you have them appraise it.

Hey Hey,

It all makes sense,

I'm hoping to send him the faked appraisal this weekend, the only thing I don't get is if the scam is the appraisal... why'd he say it was ok to go ahead and use internic?

Peace,
    HT

internic.com doesn't do appraisals... He knows you're going to go there and hit a dead end.
    The place he was trying to get you to avoid was afternic.com, which is the one you should have demanded to use. So I think you slipped
    Sample appraisal
    http://www.afternic.com/rsample.html

If you do use another appraiser, then I am sure that he will make up another fake site that can discredit that apprasial process. Since he things you will want to sell he will suggest (or insist) that you use the site that he gets a kickback from. After that is done, he will not want to buy your site since he just made some $$.

He is hoping that if you get an outside appraisal that give your site more worth, that you will pay again to have another appraisal done.

Good luck and keep us posted.

~Halv

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    internic.com doesn't do appraisals... He knows you're going to go there and hit a dead end.
    The place he was trying to get you to avoid was afternic.com, which is the one you should have demanded to use. So I think you slipped
    Sample appraisal
    http://www.afternic.com/rsample.html
    Looks like a big goof on my part... I'll have to make up for it

Thanks for pointing tha tout.. Tonight while I'm at work i'll try and do up a nice appraisal slip for him from afternic and just send him that.

Peace,
    HT