Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Geek speak'

'Geek speak'

Talking over their heads?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4413155.stm

Eighty-four percent did not know that phishing describes faked e-mail scams.
    Twenty percent admitted they did not know what to do to protect themselves generally online.
    And of that Twenty percent wonder how many are actually doing something.

I'm a geek and sometimes even I have to look it up...
    Slashdot is a good example... I'm always seeing geek speak on there I don't know.
    I didn't think you could get much geekier than me... but I guess you can.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

While the statistics may make sense, I'm curious about their methods, etc of gathering the statistical data. Whenever I don't want my grandparents to understand what I'm saying to my bro, we can speak in technical jargon and l33t sp33k..

When talking to users about tech stuff I usually ask them straight out how comfortable they are with tech terms. The majority of the ones who say they're ok still get glazed eyes when you use basic terms. I find I have to use a lot of non-computer analogies to get my points across. Like recommending password changes after cleaning or reloading an infected computer -> If you thought someone made a copy of your house keys you'd probably get new locks. Crap like that.

People are embarassed to admit when they don't know something especially in a work environment. Obviously skill sets are different and everyone isn't expected to everyone else's job. I think the people who evercome the stigma and get the information in terms that the understand are way ahead of the others and are a benefit to their organization.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Whenever I don't want my grandparents to understand what I'm saying to my bro
    So when you wanna ask him if he slept with the girl last night, you say " Did you get you floppy disk (3.5 inch ) inside the drive ? lol

Why don't you want your gradparent to know about something if your talking about computers ? No need to use extra elite terms. Like they care if you talk about PC's.
    O.G at A.O

Many are often left vulnerable because they have no idea what they are supposed to be protecting themselves against, a survey for AOL UK has found.
    Enough said. Aol users are n00bs. Although as stated above, I have had to google some Slashdot geek speak. Some of those guys are a lot geekier than I am.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

So you mean if somebody uses AOL he's a n00b ? So basicly you're syaing he can not reach the same website you can and read the same information you can and be as smart as you can ? Wow, that's kind of a dumb statement. I was on AOL for 3 years (cuz i was tuck with it), i recently switched to high-speed broadband, and let me tell you, i didn't get smarter or 1337 just because i had a faster connection. Yes i had more time to read since the pages loaded faster but still, pages looked same to me
    O.G at A.O

Originally posted here by ©opy®ight
    So you mean if somebody uses AOL he's a n00b ? So basicly you're syaing he can not reach the same website you can and read the same information you can and be as smart as you can ? Wow, that's kind of a dumb statement. I was on AOL for 3 years (cuz i was tuck with it), i recently switched to high-speed broadband, and let me tell you, i didn't get smarter or 1337 just because i had a faster connection. Yes i had more time to read since the pages loaded faster but still, pages looked same to me
    You have to admit CopyRight that a lot of trolls come from people on AOL.

Just check out Attrition's Postal section http://attrition.org/postal/
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

You have to admit CopyRight that a lot of trolls come from people on AOL.
    AOL is also one of the largest ISPs around. More users = more trolls...its probably proportional
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Not all AOL users are n00bs but this is the starting point for a lot of people new to computers and the internet so I would say a good portion are n00bs.

And if you stayed with AOL for 3 years I would say that doesnt make you a n00b but I have pity for you.

You definatley cant untap the power of the internet with dial up.
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger -- Friedrich Nietzche