Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Quantum Leap

True this thread is about applying quantum principles to computer securty. But how do you manipulate a state that is imeasurable? The road is infinitely long because we don't have a destination.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

A good book if you’re interested Nanoparticles : From Theory to Application

Looks like a good book. I would wager nanoparticles are closer to reality than a quantum computer based on quantum theory. They are "sort of" apples and oranges from this perspective. I'll see if I can get that at the library sometime.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Yeah, I said the same thing when I saw the price. I'm going to try and find it at my metro library when I get the time. It's more targeted to the student as an introduction from fundamental principles, and as a basis for understanding nanoparticle behavior.
    "A key issue for the reliability of future quantum computers--which would rely on the unusual properties of nature's smallest particles to store and process data--is the fragility of quantum states. Today's computers use millions of transistors that are switched on or off to reliably represent values of 1 or 0. Quantum computers would use atoms, for example, as quantum bits (qubits), whose magnetic and other properties would be manipulated to represent 1 or 0 or even both at the same time. These states are so delicate that qubit values would be unusually susceptible to errors caused by the slightest electronic "noise.""
    Which would explain why my cousin said the whole lab is grounded and that all their work is done in a sunken freezer at temperatures 0.0? degrees Kelvin, so when they fabricate their devices with electron beam lithography it's stable enough to manipulate.

YES - Some technology to isolate the physical universe would be necessary to actually use a quantum computer, a slight temperature shift of say .00001 would destroy data held in quantum suspension.... should something ever be dreamed up. Of course if we could isolate and manipulate the quatum universe then we would be in the realm of "Q" anyway and we could isolate a bit of space time and turn it into a computer and never know it's there.
    West of House

from the way it sounds its extremly unstable. do you really think that just because we have the technology that we should use it. granted it is still only in a minture state the concepts of this new computer are endless with no way of securing or controling and information stored in it. It sounds to me like a giant storage building with an infinate amount of doors. It might just be me but i find "supercomputer" is a little bit of an understatement.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    0.0? degrees Kelvin
    = minus 237 degrees Centigrade = ABSOLUTE zero = Superconductors.

That is some lab he works in
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Isn't is funny that superconductors operate a such a low temperature. By that I mean the reason it's called absolute zero is because the atoms have slowed down so much that they are almost in suspension. And along comes a superconductor. Crazzzzy.
    West of House

Speaking of nanoparticles, have you guys heard about the nanoparticle storage devices in dev? Basically, nanotubes sit somewhere, and when an electric signal goes through the electrode right next to it, the nanotube is pushed down and away, which puts it into the "1" position. Even when the electricity is taken away, it's still in the same position. It's thought that this could lead to instant on computers. Basically, it takes the advantages of magnetic, optical, and flash and throws them all together in a VERY good storage solution. 10 BILLION bits on the size of 1 DVD and that's right now in begining dev. Who knows what they'll be hitting when this stuff hits the market... Company name is Nantero if you're interested.

Another incredibly interesting thing is nanotube wires. The wires would be made from nanotubes aligned in a certain way, and would cause near zero resistance, which means LOTS of power saved on the big mass transport power lines that run the power grids. It's basically a superconductor that DOESN'T need to be practically frozen to work.

Both of this came from the mag Technology review. If you're interested in this stuff it's DEFINITLY a good buy. $30 subscription, but it's worth it. Not filled with ads, but filled with text. I love it. It's published out of MIT.

Also, superconductors do not run AT absolute zero, they run near it. No one has hit absolute zero yet. The closest they've got is 4 K I believe, though don't quote me on that. I know it was <10 K.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

Since people seem interested in quantum discussion:

Also, superconductors do not run AT absolute zero, they run near it.
    True but it's common to use the term since it's damn cold. I do remember an experiment where they hit absolute zero at the microscopic ends of lasers in Boulder Colorado. I say they hit it but it was a billionth of a degree above absolute zero. DAMN close to call it perhaps? They did this to see an experimental theory of Einstein and Bose. This involves early prediction by Bose on how atoms should behave. While observing the energies of light they thought that similar theories should hold true to an atom. Ironically enough this leads to the very essense of the Bohr Model and the term quantum leap, and where one must also "leap" away from classical Newton based atomic physics. Particles are held in certain "allowable" orbits and leap for orbit to orbit using stepped energy levels. (basic I know but I can't remember every detail )

But anyway... they set out to prove the Bose Einstein condensation, where at low energy levels the atoms would be like a bunch of bouncing balls all crashing to the floor at once. And when they are down there in the same space, they will all be the same. And that could be used to make tiny structures like computer chips and atomic keys etc. We humans only started making them in 1995 so we don't know what to do with them yet. But we did the same thing for light, in regards to creating a way to make all particels the same, and the result was a LASER. Eistein missed the the reality of what he was saying since the atoms would kind of all come together. He really was a genius wasnt he? He wrote the theory of relativity while working in a mail room. hiding his papers in a desk.

I wish they taught this stuff when I was in school. It's not like it's new, hell Einstein argued furiously against quantum theories. Not that they didn't exist but if an atom took shape (properties) at the time it was measured then it HAD to have some pre-existing shape we can't detect. That is where the term infinite probability comes in. When quantum theory and relativity collide you get and infinite probability of measurable outcome. And Douglas Adams made fun of it's principle, Zaphod for president! Alas it wasn't until the 80s and beyond that experiments could show the indirect observation of probabilty and spring modeles using harmonics versus. At least in a way I could begin to concepualise something totally radical to my long held view.

Arguably in string theory, where energy is sufficient - even at absolute zero - the magnetic strings still ocillate, but these aren't your daddy's magnetic fields. Hmm what if absolute zero is like a C universe, where there is a limitation where we can go. Can absolute zero be achieved? Where everything stops and is Zero Kelvin REALLY absolute zero? This is where I lack some info. Even the coldest darkest place of the Universe is 3 degrees Kelvin, and that is pretty constant throughout. Another feather in the cap for the big bang. Residual heat propigated universally.
    West of House