Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KB891711 & stability problems?

Exclamation

Nihil,

Isn't life Grand??!

ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Well the OS version number is 4.10.2222 A

The version I'm talking it's shown in sysinternals Process Explorer and after yet another update to it (with windows update) it become 4.10.0000.2223
    *shrug*

Originally posted here by nihil
    I suspect that is your Win98 version number, go into <control panel> <system> and check it out at the top of the page.

To get the patch, you need to run Windows Update

Hi ghost~

All that means is that the patch is considered to be part of the Win98 "core" rather than an add-on or plug-in like Internet Explorer, for example.

Now, back to your problem, if you enter control+alt+delete and bring up the close program box, does KB891711 show up as a running process?

If you run msconfig and look at "startup" , can you see it with a tick in the box , and only one entry for it?

Heya nihil,

Well after the last update the process doesn't show any more at ctrl+alt+del but it shows in "Process explorer" running "from" kernel32.dll / msgsrv32.exe /mprexe.exe.

It is in system startup list (msconfig / startup) and it's only a line indeed and it's active (ticked) since I didnt disable it last time before update.

What buggs me with it is that normally the updates just change some files on the system but never had one that is actually "running" but if you say it suppose to be a windoze "core", I guess I'll have to live with it.

Cheers.

have a read and chuckle here..

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/KB891711/

Have seen a lot of chatter regarding this particular "Patch" .. was a problem with the original with 9x.. the V2.. fixes what ever the problem was.. but it needs the exe to do its job... anothjer process to share the prioritys of the cpu..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi ghost~

What you have is how it should be: process running in background and one checked entry in startup.

I am not sure exactly what it does, but it is a security thing. The first version gave me problems so I thought I would alert the forum when I found that a fix was available.

Also, I am not sure if the security functionality actually worked with the first version

cheers