Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.3

Suse 9.3

Guess what started shipping yesterday. SUSE 9.3

My boys over at MadPenguin have a review up right now so go check it out!

After reading this, I can see another great OS is being released in the form of SUSE Linux. MANY new improvements, and a lot of things only SUSE has to offer as of yet

I-Pod support is even here. Read the article:

http://madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3851

You know that looks cool.

I think I need to grab a copy of this and install it to see what all the rage is about.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Hehe yea.

Doom 3 just got here *Shaking*. Ehehehehehehehehe.

You have Doom 3 Running on Linux?

I don't have much of money resources, so i can't buy great processors and graphic cards.

I have a AMD XP 1800+ with a Asus A7v266E (Kind of Broken ) and Geforce II 440 MX, i can't run games in linux

I even try with winex and cedega, i can install, but when i try to run it... it just don't start

i board is kind of broken, because i used to overclock my processor, so to keep cool temperatures i have installed a Water system cooling, and a little drop of water fall on my board, and you know what happend next,

It was my fault, i moved the pc, with no care. I have this watercooling system for 3 years, this is the first time that a drop of water falls
    Im using Slackware, my favourite distro

I downloaded it last night but I guess I didn't burn it to DVD correctly because when I rebooted the computer w/ the DVD in the drive it didn't go into setup or anything (I currently have WinXP Pro SP2). Unfortunately that was my last blank DVD-R so I have to swing by Best Buy tonight and pick up another spindle and try to get this thing installed. My plan is to dual boot my system with SuSe and see which OS I like more. I did that with RH 9.1 once but didn't have time to play around with it so I never really got to do much with it.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

Hey Hey,

I've been running SuSE 9.3 for a week now, installed it last Wednesday and it's absolutely amazing.

To give you a run down... here's my system specs.

Dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop
    Celeron 2.2Ghz Desktop Processor
    512MB RAM
    30GB HDD (20GB Partition (SuSE 9.3) and 10GB Partition (Storage as I change OSs)
    CD-RW
    Intel Extreme Video Card (No 3D Acceleration)...

So Last Wed I decided to do an upgrade (the night before a practical test).

The system I was running was SuSE 9.2 running between XFCE 4 and KDE 3.4 (I'd done an RPM upgrade a couple weeks ago). I also had VMWare Workstation 4.5.2 and Crossover Office 3.0.

I stuck in the SuSE 9.3 CD and it recognized that 9.2 was on there and started the upgrade. The upgrade failed on the second CD and I was left without a bootable system... I attempted to recover a couple of times but all was lost. This has always been my one complaint against SuSE.... I tried to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 and had issues. I tried again with 9.1 to 9.2 and had the same problems... Now I had the exact same problem with 9.2 to 9.3... Maybe it's my hardware, but the installs always work fine.

So I had no choice but to go with a full install... I select full install (not every package, but a substantial amount... I like to test software).. The install was very smooth and I had no problems... The only thing I noticed was that after the install when I booted, normally a Windows partition would be mounted by default... My other partition (Which is Rieser) wasn't mounted by default, so I had to add it to fstab... not that big of a deal..

I booted into KDE 3.4 and was quite impressed... Everything was there and it worked.. I had no problem using rdesktop to access our RDP servers here at work, or my desktop at home. I could browse network shares without a problem.... and the programs all ran faster and loaded quicker than they had on 9.2... I tested Gnome for an hour or so, but I'm not really a big fan so I didn't stick with it... Now I haven't loaded gnome in ages, but I was quite impressed with the layout that comes with 9.3. I've also used XFCE (which will most likely become my primary desktop in the near future... for now I"m sticking with KDE) and blackbox... I've always loved the basicness and simplicity of blackbox.

I've yet to try Beagle Search because I hadn't found a link to the GUI (my co-worker is actually just pointing it out to me as I type this).... Also the Beagle Daemon isn't loaded by default and I've yet to find anyway that they present for a normal user to load it.... Since this was one of their big selling points, I expected it to be more obvious than it is...

I do however love the iPod support.... The inability to play MP3s with anything other than RealPlayer10 Initially really bothered me... pissed me off to be honest, but the updates during install and the first reboot fixed that problem. After that was fixed, I love it... I'm actually gonna get rid of my Mini and get a 60GB iPod photo just because of how well it works.... It detected it immediately and Konquoer opened with the option of playlist, artist or album, allowing me to select my songs.. unfortunately you can't queue up an entire directory... only one file at a time because they are copied to a temp directory before being played. However I found a solution to this... gtkpod comes installed with SuSE 9.3... you can run it and it's basically iTunes.. It doesn't have the advanced features, but the basics are all there.. It'll even let you play through XMMS and queue the files up so that you can play music continuously.. A very nice touch.

I haven't played much with open office yet, however it's a newer release, so it could have gotten better.. knock on wood. However Impress (PowerPoint Replacement) is a lot nicer... the old GUI wasn't very slick and had it's downfalls but this time around it's quite improved and much more handy.

It was also nice to see things like Evolution and the Ximian-Connector included on the CD... last time the Ximian-connector was available from the DVD version only... Evolution is pretty good... still some flaws and not quite comparible to Outlook... I heard their porting it to Windows which might push them to develop it faster, however the public folders still can't be opened, you can browse the folders, but not the messages inside them.... It is quite fast, I sent an email and it was recieved just as fast as outlook... which is a lot nicer than having to refresh in firefox when using Linux.... (since you don't get any of the fancy OWA effects that IE provides)... You also can't open another users inbox yet, which makes checking our helpdesk difficult... but it's getting better than it was..

The standard assortment of games and software is available... including everyone's favourite Frozen Bubble... It was also nice to see the BSD Games included... which had disappeared from a lot of systems for a while... Dia the Diagram Editor was there, along with IM and chat software and many other tools..

Security wise, I've got a lot of installing to do when classes are done this week and I have time to play, but it was nice to see that at least nmap 3.85 was shipped with it...

There are also some nice new GUI tools for managing your network, so I was happy to see that.

Not much left to say except that I've installed 9.3 along with VMWare Workstation 5 (Final) and Crossover Office 4.1 and I've got iTunes and Quicktime installed throught Crossover Office. It would be nice if they included support in the next Crossover Office for Windows 2003 but that's not really Novell and SuSE's fault... I also haven't tried Xen yet, but I plan on testing it out this weekend.

Anyways.. It's quite the OS..

Peace,
    HT

The important part...

Torrents! God.. you have to love torrents!

http://www.knetdome.com/bt/?torrent=suse93
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

HT, the media thing you were talkign about with MP3s, they fixed it when they realised users didn't like the fact that it didn't play MP3s except with real player and in less than one week, they had a fix for it which allowed it to play MP3s again. Heh, FAST fixes.

I don't have it yet but I will soon. 9.2 and 9.1 are still in use here at home and once in a while I put 8.2 on something (I miss Eterm). Xen appears to REALLY be something, I can hardly wait to try that.

I don't have it yet but I will soon. 9.2 and 9.1 are still in use here at home and once in a while I put 8.2 on something (I miss Eterm). Xen appears to REALLY be something, I can hardly wait to try that.
    Join the torrent and we'll have it even faster. Just remember to open ports 6881-6889 TCP and you'll get download speeds from 80-120kbps. Just make sure if you have a connection that limits your upload to 384kbps (like my dsl connection does) to set your upload cap around 8-12kbps.

If you have the ability to setup QoS on your gateway, then lower the priority on bittorrent and you're other services won't suffer.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Guys I may be a fool for asking this but what's with the company making people pay for updates? Was I just not looking at the right pages when I went to the site? I got the DVD working and it turns out that its just a live DVD edition where the OS runs from disc and if you want full version you have to buy it. At a friend's suggestion I also downloaded Mandrake Linux but haven't burned that DVD iso yet. Can any of y'all direct me to where I can find the full Suse 9.3 edition that gets installed so that I can do a dual boot system?
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15