Thread: SMC 2532 wont work in linux

SMC 2532 wont work in linux

I have just bought a SMC 2532W-B wireless NIC for use in linux I have tried booting into knoppix it detects it with the correct name on startup, but also says unsupported card in slot1 does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get this working, It is a Prism2.5 card so it should work.

Thanx

Craig dunn

Hey,

Maybe this Link will help you along ... otherwise try Google yourself with items like "SMC2532W-B linux support".

First Google if you can't find it there ...the guys on this forum will be glad to help you out.

Read , learn and keep doing that

Gr33Tz

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I have googled for it, the concesus seems to be to use the HOSTAP drivers but i Just want to run it on knoppix so I cant install drivers plus its on a laptop. I have tried modprobing with no effect.

You might want to check and see if a customizable knoppix could do what you want. Something along the lines of this or this .

NOTE: I have not tried the steps outlined in either of these places, so, whatever...

The hostap drivers should work, as they support your chipset. You can either build them as modules to modprobe, or you could patch your kernel and rebuild it.

Ok , now it's a bit more detail but still...

Have you checked the forum from Knoppix , more specificaly this thread maybe that will help you along.

If that doesn't help I think you should list in more detail what you've done and what didn't work ...

Gr33tz,

C.

I have tried using the configure WNIC in the windows manager which says "No wireless card found" I then tried going to a shell and mod probing prism2_cs and it says unable to locate module. I have then tried IWconfig and Ifconfig with no results.

Well just for Sh*ts and giggles, why don't you check out this LiveCD and see if it has what you need. Here is a link to the Devices known to work, you can find the DL link from there. http://www.remote-exploit.org/index....itor_dev_list1 I've had good luck getting wireless cards to show signs of life on that, while not being able to get the card to actually do anything on my Fedora Core 3. Working with LiveCDs to get these cards to work may not be your best bet. An actual configurable system will probably get you alot farther. Also, I know Damn Small Linux has some wireless support in it, you should google that page up and see if that live distro will give you any luck. Damn Small Linux isn't a huge set of programs, but for most stuff it does the trick. DSL is pretty good, I actually almost coaxed a 70Mhz pentium laptop with 16MB of RAM to use a wireless card, i was kinda shocked by that one. I got it recognized and I found an AP but i didn't manage to connect it, but it had signs of life. Just google around and find the best LiveCD for wireless support. I'm not sure what your actually going to be doing with your distro, but The Auditor's Security Collection has some of the basic apps like Mozilla and the like, if your just looking to surf the web. DSL has the basics too. I always try a bunch of LiveCDs to see which one will give you the best response. Wasting about 10 cds, at about 25 cents a pop isn't too bad. I'd waste $2.50 to shop around. sorry if this doens't make any sense it's early for me

AO Senior Cow-beller
    All I can add is I know for a fact the card works. Ran it last night in Deb/woody and have seen another use it in Suse 9.2.

I haven't seen a lot of feedback form Cemetric and KSoze's suggestions...did you build a custom Knoppix with the drivers/modules needed? If not, and your still using Knoppix, no amount of modprobing and wnic configuring will help if the right driver/module isn't in the distro.

Just a thought.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

How would I go about building a custon version of knoppix with the correct drivers?

Hey,

There are several ways of "customzing" Knoppix ...

First you can customize the Kernel ... info here

Second you can adjust the configuration ... info here

Third you can Remaster your Knoppix ... info here

The best way is to use either Remastering so you master your Knoppix to your preferences or you can use the configuration adjusting to add software ... which is the best way ??? I don't realy know because I never had to do it .. maybe someone else on this board will know... but I think the remastering sounds best , because you rebuild the Knoppix with the necessary drivers (I think).

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway this should set you on your way I think,

C.