Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: weird dial up download thing

Originally posted here by ikalo
    Like Nihil said 56k is 56.6kbps = 7,075 kBps ... ofcourse this is only theoretical max speed.
    Don't forget parity bits, errors, retransmitions etc.

In my contry we use only two wires, and I have the same thing when starting download over dial-up. It doesn't matter if I use IE or DAP.
    Here is my theory:
    when you start download, while you point to folder where it is going to be saved, download engine (or whatever it is) is buffering that file somewhere in RAM or TEMP file. When you click on SAVE that buffered data is transfered to it final destination, and you have high speed displayed. After that you have the real speed displayed. Actualy I guess that this speed is calculated with difference in file size measured after predefined time interval.

In DAP, when you click on SUSPEND, download is not stoped. It uses extra bandwith (that is not used for browsing at that moment, for example) to buffer data. When you resume, the same thing happens, you have large data flow to file on disk from some temoprary storage/buffer (probably RAM) and high speed calculated. I think this is only marketing trick.

I use download managers only because dial-up has tendency to brake connection, so I can resume download. Or if I'm geting large (101MB for example) file, I can do it for several nights. there is no speed increase.

56k is 56k.... everything you see above 6kBps is only illusion
    Yep

hello ©opy®ight,
    Modem Initialization Strings

AT Commands & Initialization Strings
    In order for a modems to work properly it must be configured. Modems are not the dumb devices that most people think they are. This is because operating systems like Windows 95 and Windows NT typically hide all of the modems configuration commands used to configure a modem. It is important to understand the basics of configuring modems, so that when problems occur within initialization strings or chat scripts, you can interpret their commands.
    The very basic commands used to configure and troubleshoot a modem are from the AT command set. The AT command set was originally developed by Hayes to work with their Smartmodem 300.
    and Check out these links :

Modem Initialization String Codes

56k Modem Troubleshooting - Init Strings & Extra Settings

more Modem Initialization Strings

I hope you would find them usefull.

Cheers
    \"And life is what we make it. Always has been, always will be.\"

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    All modem strings below will work for internal dial up modems. Based on chipset of course. These will work on LUCENT, USRobotics, 3COM, BCM, Zetodragon, conexant, but Not external modems.

The most common initialtization string used is AT&F which will reset the modem back to the orginal factory settings. Excellent for fixing error code 630 for windows based PCs. Please keep in mind when you do use AT&F you must reboot PC in order for the changes to take effect. Also, when you do reconnect double check the connection speed it will say the modem is now connected at 115,200bps. This is not correct of course. This reading is actually the reading from the motherboard to the modem in the PC. Novice people will really think they are connected at 115,200bps.

AT&F+MS=V34 <--- will force the V.34 protocol. Means the modem will not connect any faster than 34,000 bps. Used for troubleshooting error code 678 for all versions of Windows 95 to XP.

AT&F+MS=V90 <--- will force the modem to connect using the V.90 protocol and also, make it connect at the fastest possible speed by modem.

AT+PHM = 0 <--- Will enable Modem on hold if your running a V.92 modem. How do you know if you have a V.92 modem? Run a diagnostics test on your modem. You do this by querying the modem. The modem will display ATI1-ATI7 in sequential order. The different ATIs will let you know if your modem is v.92 or not. Also, please note in order to use MOH (modem on Hold) you need to have the modem on hold software which you can get through either the PC manufacure or the modem manfacture.
    Hope this helps. Computernerd22