Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Cookie Sales Discriminatory - Duh? That's the point!

College Cookie Sales Discriminatory - Duh? That's the point!

Well, well, now the Young College Republicans have been skewered and forced to apologize for selling cupcakes in a discrimanatory manner. I think my apology would have read: hmmmm.....

On behalf of the Young College Republicans, I would like to aplolgize for selling cupcakes in a manner that is consistent with the college administration's equal opportunity admittance policies and standards. While this practice is perfectly applicable for student equal opportunity admittance and enrollment, it is obviously not acceptable to apply the same criteria to cupcake sales, where the intent of the sale is to demonstrate inequalities surrounding the administration's admittance criteria. I would also like to thank the administration for disregarding The Constitution of The United States and it's applicable directives governing Freedom of Speech. By following the letter of the law and condeming the cupcake sale, instead of following the spirit of the law and allowing the cupcake sales to continue as a peaceful protest/demonstration, this condemnation of an obvious exercise of Freedom of Speech has set the tone of inequity and intollerance for generations of freshmen to come. And finally, I cannot forget to thank the administration for insisting on equality across the board for all aspects of it's governance and functions.

Now, on a personal note, the Young College Republicans should be ashamed for backing down and allowing thier rights to be stomped into ground by a bigoted group of administrators. What happened to standing up for your principals???

Writing in disapointment.

Bake sale brings probation at GVSU
    Thursday, April 14, 2005
    By Jennifer Ackerman-Haywood
    The Grand Rapids Press

ALLENDALE -- A cupcake sale intended as a satirical jab at affirmative action has resulted in probation for the College Republicans at Grand Valley State University.

The Student Organization Review Board notified the group Wednesday its March 21 "Affirmative Action Bake Sale" violated a university rule that requires financial transactions to be nondiscriminatory.

During the sale, three members of the group -- who have resigned -- applied affirmative action principles to cupcake pricing. The students offered the treats for $2 for white men, 75 cents for blacks and white women, 50 cents for Asians and Hispanics, and 5 cents for American Indians.

Following last Friday's misconduct hearing, the five-member review board decided to put the student group on probation until Dec. 1.

The review board also required the student group to make a public apology and create a leadership development plan to make sure club leaders are aware of university policies and procedures. The group will retain university funding and campus organization privileges.

The College Republicans say they do not plan to appeal.

"I'm hoping that from here, we can just move forward taking what we've learned," said Karen Hall, a 19-year-old sophomore and vice president of the organization.

In a prepared statement, the new leaders of the group explain that "the club did not support holding a bake sale with discounted prices as a parody of affirmative action. However, without proper support, individuals went forward with such a bake sale."

The group also apologized "that individuals using our club's name failed to adhere to university policies."

University President Mark Murray said the review board's decision was fair and stressed that the disciplinary action is not meant to stifle free speech.

The problem, he said, was the discriminatory way the College Republicans went about making its argument.

"Free speech is integral to our rights as citizens," he said. "I hope those engaged in political discourse choose an option that elevates our discourse on controversial issues rather than degrades it."

But Kyle Rausch, the 19-year-old GVSU student from Adrian who says he was pressured to resign as leader of the student group, said the university is playing politics and squelching free speech.

"As much as it was an eye opener, it was worth doing. The university has basically said anyone who wants to do anything controversial will be sanctioned," Rausch said.

He said he has received at least 100 e-mails and letters of support from Republican parents and teachers, plus offers for letters of recommendation.

Press writer Theresa D. McClellan contributed to this story.

© 2005 Grand Rapids Press. Used with permission
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

They hate it when common sense smacks them in the face. If those were liberals selling ant-everything I hate cupcakes they would have used the "satire" defense and been given a grant to study their influence on the general student population. If expelled the ACLU would intervine and sue the school to the point of bankrupcy. Speaking of republicans....! I have been testing the hell out of XM and Sirius radio. I was looking to see if they had Michael Savage on either, based on a recomendation, and I found this on his site (see below). If his radio show is just as funny entertaining and brash I might listen in once in a while.

And now for the bad news. O’Reilly (the Leper-Con) who poses as a conservative, Sean Vanity another Republican bootlicker, (who began as a Rush understudy) are now acting the way the main stream media has been acting for decades. They think they are the gatekeepers of who shall be heard in the conservative world. Both are afraid of Michael Savage, because of his powerful radio audience. Without them, Savage’s book continues to sell like crazy. If they wish to become the Oprah Winfreys and Dan Rathers of our time, that is their decision.
    Pure entertaining in a sick way I could like.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    I sometimes listen to "right/conservative" radio, and I even like some of them (Ankarlo is ok, and so is Glenn Beck once in a while). Savage on the other hand is a whiny little guy (he's Jewish, didn't like his Jewish name, changed it to "Savage", and now bashes Jews)... and he's got an extremely irritating voice with an even more irritating accent. His only "gift" is that he knows how to bash people - without much intellect, without much reason. Sad little guy with some serious trauma's

Hey wait that sounds EXACTLY like Al Franken.

I can't help but laugh though. Bill O'reilly - the Leper-Con.... a take on leprechaun since his name is Irish but using Leper and Con, like con artist and some persons with a disease. Then Shawn Vanity since the Shawn Hanity is pretty vain, lol vanity instead of Hanity and of course the master of talk Rush. L. Republican Boot lickers... lol I have thought that for a long time. Rush was definitely cool in the 80's. That description of Savage was reserved for Rush then, now a 100 million dollar name rubbing elbows with those who think they are elite in some way.

A Jew bashing Jews? Dr. what’s her name does that. Dr. Laura? I bet he bashes the Jews always screaming "anti Semitic” like liberals and their shell of racism, immigration, etc. I can't tell if you turned me off or made me want to listen. He's on a 6 pm here, bad timing. There is no way my liberal GF will go for that. Now if he was on one of the Satellite radio channels that may sway my decision based on their willingness to open their airwaves.

//Edit - actually had a spell checker on this box.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

This hurts so bad, but I have to agree with OverdueSpy. And about something the Young Republicans did at that. However, I think this is one of those instances where you can't let your political party and affiliations make your decisions for you. I don't support Affirmative Action, I haven't ever. People should be judged on who they are and what they can do. Not the color of their skin, their last name, their gender, or who they choose to sleep with.

And I have to laugh really really hard at RoadClosed with a liberal girlfriend!
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

She is VERY liberal. And we live together.
    West of House

Ahh well, it takes all kinds. As long as you can find a way to both be yourselves and respect each others feelings and opinions. My husband and I used to be pretty far apart in our political views, and we still are in some things, but we've kind of come together on a lot of them over the years.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

She thinks republicans are all SUV driving gun toting religious *******s. I only meet one of those requirements... ******* (and that's borderline)

She asked the other day... why do republicans do this but say that. I said "I don't know go ask them" We have to be careful how we approach some topics. They other day it was... why do republicans think it's ok to kill inmates but they want to save babies (unborn fetus). What's with that? I said, I don't know - why to liberals want to kill the babies who did nothing and fight for the life of a murderer? That was the wrong approach.
    West of House

Ahh, see, that's another place that I differ from the "party" line. To quote a bumper sticker, you'll get my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

And no, sarcasm is not the best approach. Trust me, I make this mistake every single time we disagree over something political. On one hand, it's just the way I approach everything, and on the other hand, I do it because I just can not understand how someone who agrees with me on some things can be so opposite on others! Doesn't he know I'm always right yet?!

You realize the liberals will call you a red neck stupid hick for that!
    West of House