Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VPN Setups

Yes, what CuseMMA said.
    Both servers are directly connected to the internet at those speeds. Not physically connected or in physical proximity.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Ok, maybe you misunderstood my question about your available bandwidth. You're machines are no doubt connected to a switch or some other network device at 100Mbs. The question I have for you about bandwidth is what is your bandwidth to the internet. This will be your bottleneck for throughput.

The servers I have are located in a Data Center. They're available through put is exactly what the network card they are using is.

They contain 10/100Mbps network cards, and they can utilize up to 100Mbps. The isn't any bottleneck issues. If anything, my bottleneck would be the effectiveness of my nic. The switch and routing equipment is all high end cisco equipment, operating at much higher speeds then my nic can put out, so there's not really any bandwidth issues right now.

Thank you,
    Genesis F.
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Ok, maybe I'm asking this in the wrong manor. What type of internet connection do you have? Cable? DSL? Frac-T? T-1? Frame relay? Something else?

Aye, just because you have a 10/100 NIC doesnt mean that your cable or T-1 line will give you 10/100 speed.

If they are on the same intranet then you will get the 100 speed and all is happy. Since it sounds like you will be going thru cable or a T-1 line, you are at the mercy of your provider.

If the computers are both in the same data center, then they are on the same intranet.
    If the computers are in seperate data centers, then they are seperate intranets and once you have the VPN in place you can transfer data between the two servers, but the max speed will not be 10/100.. it will most likely be 900kbs - 1.3mbs depending on your connections to the internet at each location.

Unfortunatly, it will be based on the slowest link in the chain.

Plain English

Server 1=========Internet=======================Server 2
    100Mbps=======VPN @ 100Mbps================100Mbps <<~~Represents speed
    Datacenter 1=====Internet======================Datacenter 2 <<~~server locations

Thank you for that diagram Pure. The thing is that they're asking you what TYPE of connection you have between the two centers.

Posted by zENGER
    Cable? DSL? Frac-T? T-1? Frame relay? Something else?
    We know that locally you're at 100Mbps but as stated already you're limited by what's BETWEEN the endpoints. We've gotten really off-track with this discussion, btw.
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

I'm sorry we have gotten off track. Please visit fastservers.net for information on datacenter. The second datacenter is similarly connected.
    ++++++++++Back to VPN Discussion Please++++++++++++

If I wasn't going to implement a hardware based VPN, what software based VPN solution would you recommend for the setup so thoroughly described(lol).

PuRe

I don't really have any experience with VPNs so I can't give you a personal reccomendation but I did find this site that looks like it might be of good use to you:

http://vpnlabs.org/

Hope it helps!
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

I understand that the servers have a 10/100 network card...

but you are paying a 3rd party vendor for your internet connection. they are giving you a connection that has a finite speed. Who is your vendor? at what speed are you connecting? this is relevant.

using your diagram and adding points of reference

Server 1 == 10/100 -- internet company --- lots of hops -- internet company --- 10/100 == Server 2

Your VPN will never be 100Mbps, unless you are using the internet2 connections that some colleges have.

If you are not sure, contact your accounting department and ask them the name of the company that is paid to give you your internet at your place of business.

Your internet company provides you with bandwith. this is the amount of data that can be sent / received at any point in time usually represented in down / up (down TO you and up FROM you [example, some DSL will give you 1.5Mb/386kb which is 1.5Mb you can download from the internet but only 386kb with which you can SEND to another server - internet connection]).

We keep asking this information because if you have a T-1 line (highly recommended as it is usually has a static IP address) then you set it up one way, and if you have residental cable (usually has DHCP addresses) then you would need to set it up a different way.