Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, that book is a dangerous weapon..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Sorry, that book is a dangerous weapon..

I came across this article in my daily blog visits:

En route from San Jose to Phoenix, I was told by a Transportation Security Agency (TSA) screener about a ban on lighters (cough) starting April 14th, but the book allowance has been cut from 4 to 2. I had been tagged for a pat-down, a perfectly reasonable thing considering whatsinmybag. The agent was reasonable and amicable and I knew the drill. When he pulled a cigarette lighter out of my bag he mentioned the forthcoming ban, how you could carry four packs of matches and the whole idea was to prevent quickly lighting explosives (like that idiot with evil shoes). When he pulled out two books he mentioned that right now you can only have four books and on the 14th you can only have two. He didn't have any explanation for this, and I can't even fathom the purpose.

Read more by visiting the site

I was pondering what the real physical security issue was. If it was a question of weight (some of those hardware books can make wicked weapons when tossed) or size (perhaps hiding something?) then I could understand but it's done as a generalized policy (2 books instead of 4).

So does anyone have an idea or guess as to why this would be limited this way?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Maybe it's because you could read the pilots to sleep and take over the airplane.
    They tested the pilots ...read them 2 books and they were still kinda awake but from 3 to 4 books most pilots were asleep...dangerous.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Maybe it's because you could read the pilots to sleep and take over the airplane.
    Not valid since cockpit doors are now locked.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Papercuts are very dangerous! Think about the amount of papercuts you could get out of 4 books! They need to cut back to 1 book I think, with only 200 of less pages.

Papercuts are very dangerous!
    What about magazines? Have you seen the size of some of these? And magazines are more likely to give papercuts than books, I find (they have thinner paper so it's sharper, IMO).

And they have those cardboard cards every 5 pages. Those things are even more dangerous. What are we to do...

Not valid since cockpit doors are now locked
    Ok then maybe it's because of the article in this link
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

No Lighter but matches ok???? Matches make more noise...

Well for a person to read 4 books,,or hope to... during the flight.... they just dont like a smartass on the plane..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

A couple of possble (thou dumb ideas) on why...... (tongue in cheek)

Hmmm.. the volume of paper? Maybe they feel you could use the 4 books of match and 4 books to create a pretty hot fire onboard? 2 Books are easier to put out if burning then 4?

Weight? Maybe they are trying to cut back on the volume of weight carried onboard. This would also prevent you from using your bookbag as a battering ram to knock down the steel doors that Ms Mittens mentioned. And reduce fuel costs and the number of trees killed to make those books. Possibly GreenPeace is behind it all.

Items to go thru? Maybe they are trying to limit the items they have to go thru, therefore reducing the waiting?

Business to Business fees? Maybe the reduction is an arrangement with the hollywood movie companies, who are willing to reduce in flight movies fee to the airlines, since people will be forced to watch thier movies instead of reading?
    ~ I'm NOT insane! I've just been in a bad mood for the last 30 years! ~ Somepeople are like Slinky's: Not good for anything, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face!

Ok then maybe it's because of the article in this link
    Two books can be just as effective. Have you ever seen Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repair books? 5.8lbs!! Two of those become lethal weapons!

Well for a person to read 4 books,,or hope to... during the flight.... they just dont like a smartass on the plane..
    Right. Cheap, schloky mystery novels make me intelligent...