Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University (Name) Importance ?

University (Name) Importance ?

Hay,

This may seem like a weird question but, is the university you attend really important as far as employers see it ? I mean once you get out into the real world is a Computer Science degree from one university pretty much seen as the same as a Computer Science degree from another university ? (overlooking the few very well know unis).

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    -

Who would you rather hire ? A guy from Harvard or Ohio State ?

I think they do play a role, since the reputation of some schools are well known.
    O.G at A.O

Hi mikester2,

We know that it shouldn't matter, given equal standards...but it often does, even when there's no difference...one university or college may have a better reputation as a leader in that field...for instance I know of one university here in Canada that has a reputation as a world leader in agricultural sciences but also has an often overlooked and highly rated veterinary college within it that is often overshadowed.
    So I think it does matter which university or college you attend...you want to look for those universities and colleges that seem to excel in your field of choice.

Eg

It may help get your foot in the door but I doubt it would make a big difference an interview, you either know your stuff or you don't ...... unless the person doing the hiring went to the same school or didn't get accepted to that school.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

How about degree classifications, e.g do employers really care much about the different between a 2:2 , 2:1 and first ?
    -

Universities are to some extentions like companies ... everyone has its own reputation ...........
    By no mean, you can't make a contrast between some internationally known uni. and some others like the one in the third party world .. this would be ridiculous .......................................
    They can't be equal ........................

As for your question .. the answer is straightforward ............... many would like to have a look at the subjects that you have got through .... and thier marking grid for them ...... as universites vary and the courses offered vary, in its turn ...........................

A company has asked one of my friends to bring a detailed list of the courses he got through ......... IMHO, Computer Science degrees can't be seen the same, it is as simple as this, not all AVs are the same not ALL OS are the same {Despite the identical name, differences still exist} ......

My $0.02

Cheers
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Thanks for all your replies
    -

If you know the area that you would want to work in after graduating, contact some employers in that field and see what they say.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

In some good universites you will be placed before you finish your course . There will be campus interviews in those universities and you don't have to bother about looking for a job . So is the trend in my country.......
    The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones that do.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=767

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    A lot of companies in the UK state that they want a graduates with 2:1 degrees.

I don't think it matters too much where your degree is from but it possible that a degree from a univerity with a repected reputation in the field you are interested would be an advantage.

Getting a 1st really sets you out and can open a lot of doors for you. The people I went to uni with who got firsts were under a lot of pressure to continue down the academic route and I think all of them have now done PhDs.

I got a 'Desmond' (2:2) I was a big gutted at the time but after a few years experience starts to count for more and it hasn't done me any harm really. Saved me from a life of lab work and mouse ****.