Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Stopping a Virus Writer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    No... I'm thinking "the internet" and coincidence....

3700 users and a few get a virus?... Far from fantasy?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I'm concerned about the one via MSN messenger.

This second one came over msn from a Chad Cortese who is TucknRoll on here. Chad
    hasn't got hedgies, I have his, so he doesn't come on anymore but I wonder if this
    is coincidence that it came from another CnQ member. Ok, I'm getting paranoid.
    lol

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Maybe they should have a forum for IT security

Tindala :

I believe that TS has a point, and that others here have already said that securing the system will prevent a lot of this rubbish.......

You can copy this
    for starters.

Check out some site tutorials on firewalls and anti-virus set-ups [Freeware a lot of them]

Sygate FireWall - free

Grisoft AVG anti-virus - free

together they should give your membership [those that bother ] SOME protection.

[edit]
    from the front page 'Quick Tips'
    Do not open e-mail attachments from strangers, regardless of how enticing the Subject Line or attachment may be.
    Couldn't resist.
    Spooky

luck to you.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Thanks...;-) I'll work on this when I get to Phoenix later tonight!!

I really appreciate the "pats on the head" and knowing that (the virus stuff) can be controlled. I'll massage your referenced material to work for my members.

Coincidence? It's the same people getting viruses, only getting them after having words with one certain person and it's happened to them several times. This never happened until this certain person began posting on the CNQ board, got mad and started to threaten people. This sounds like a targeted attack to me. This has happened to me in another MB and I KNOW it was an attack. How it stopped? After several weeks after I left the board for good and stopped posting, the viruses stopped. Granted our members should not be opening attachments without making sure of them first but then we are not computer experts either and never expected an attack such as this on a simple friendly board. Since the people here are supposed to be computer experts or at least more advance in security than the normal layman I came here for help.
    I know that anyone caught writing viruses and infecting the internet can be prosecuted. This has happend to someone I know. He recieved probation and is banned from the internet. I know this because I was in court when the sentence was handed down. I drove the guy there!
    Thank you to all of those who have tried to help instead of offering critisim.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    but then we are not computer experts either and never expected an attack such as this on a simple friendly board
    So get the members to follow SIMPLE security tips, and get your board BACK ...........

I know that anyone caught writing viruses and infecting the internet can be prosecuted. This has happend to someone I know. He recieved probation and is banned from the internet. I know this because I was in court when the sentence was handed down. I drove the guy there!
    YOU drove him there ........... If he was such a l337 guy, why not pick his brains for advice, in conjunction with what you are getting here ?

As for prosecution ............. depends where you live.

As you say, YOU are not IT whizz kids, and not everyone HERE is either, but we tend to take security a little [a LOT] more seriously than most.

Nowadays, if you DON'T take security seriously, you run the risk of running your PC's for someone else.

Spread the word.

[edit]
    when you DO start spreading the word ....................

It's the same people getting viruses,
    Start with THEM
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

It's hard to "Pick his brains" when he is dead. He died in a automobile accident. If not then I would have went to him and not bothered anyone on any boards asking for help.
    I didn't single anyone out in the post that you are refering to, I don't know why you would single me out by taking my words and quoting them out of contex.
    Simple security tips ARE being carried out. Quotation in a previous post on this same page states that three viruses were caught. The ones that got through on this particular attack came from MSN messenger.
    Criticism and sarcasm are of no help and frankly I am surprised that you would resort to that.

Regal Making Handler
    Criticism and sarcasm are of no help and frankly I am surprised that you would resort to that.
    To re-pay a courtesy.

Jett.

You have to remember this is an international board. Some of us should have gone to bed hours ago. What you read as sarcasm may just be the fact it's bloody late were the poster is. They may also have had a drink or two
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Hi All
    I am one of the ones that has gotten two viruses. The first one that gave me Miteleader (sp?) I am positive was the troll as I had words with him a few days before. This was weeks ago and I haven't said a word to him or haven't knowingly replied to any of his posts since.

The second one that came over msn yesterday I am beginning to think is just a coincidence.
    The person it came from is also a member of the board but he has not been on it in months and has not been on since the troll started. I can't really see that the troll would have chosen an inactive member as his means of sending the virus.

Also I only have msn and the troll seems to talk to people on yahoo. Everyone that I personally have heard that he has threatened or talked to outside of the forum has been on yahoo.

This virus I got yesterday apparently sends itself without needing an attachment opened. The guy I got it from wasn't even home at the time it sent it to everyone on his msn list.

Regal Making Handler
    This virus I got yesterday apparently sends itself without needing an attachment opened. The guy I got it from wasn't even home at the time it sent it to everyone on his msn list.
    The Bropia worm. Or a variant of. Details at: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...32.bropia.html
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry