Thread: WLAN security

WLAN security

What kind of software can i use to check who are the users connected to my WLAN? One of these software is ethereal, any other software beside this?

Airsnare will look for wlan cards and report their MAC addresses to you. You can flag the MACs reported back to you as trusted or untrusted and "watch" them.
    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

You could also use something like KISMET. There is a feature that will allow you to resolve the hosts.

A lot of routers will let you view the DHCP client list. That only helps they all have dynamic IPs. If they have static, it won't help you. Some routers will let your view wifi clients instead of just the dhcp clients.

Or, a simple ping scan or arp scan of your subnet should reveal the hosts. As long as they are responding to ping or arp,

(nmap, ettercap, Cain and Abel)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Airsnare will look for wlan cards and report their MAC addresses to you. You can flag the MACs reported back to you as trusted or untrusted and "watch" them.
    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

You could also use something like KISMET. There is a feature that will allow you to resolve the hosts.

A lot of routers will let you view the DHCP client list. That only helps they all have dynamic IPs. If they have static, it won't help you. Some routers will let your view wifi clients instead of just the dhcp clients.

Or, a simple ping scan or arp scan of your subnet should reveal the hosts. As long as they are responding to ping or arp,

(nmap, ettercap, Cain and Abel)
    Airsnare looks cool.... Nmap and Cain scanning it is offensive? Noob here trying to secure WLAN...

Depending on you wlan you may be able to look on the router and determine who is connected to your wireless.

for example (my setup)
    i have a linksys wrt54g v1.1 with the sveasoft alchemy 1.0 firmware, i go on to the box, i look at the network and know that 1 computer is wired, mine is wireless, and any other is someone else (wife, in-laws, brothers/sisters etc...)

depending on what you want to do with your security you could do a couple of things,

first -- mac filtering (granted this is easily spoofable, but it is a good first line of defense)
    second -- wep (or preferably wpa)
    third -- disable ssid broadcasting

I live in an apartment and i know my neighbors are "computer" people since we are all going to do masters degrees mostly in computers, and none of them have gotten onto my wired network nor has anyone else (since i have logging turned on
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

I just added a section to my basic wireless security thread about this. It can be foud here

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=267203
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

I help my friend to check his WLAN security, went over there and found out his WLAN wasn't secure at all. Immediately, i went to set the 128bit WEP Key for his network. This thing has been wondering around my mind, it is safe to use the default homepage ip and password. I believe most people do change it?

Secondly, i tried to setup WLAN network between his PC(WinXP) and Laptop(WinME) but it failed. I am newbie in window networking.

Here's a list of steps i did:

#1. Right-click on My Computer, goto the Computer Tab, click on Change button, rename the WorkGroup to "MSHOME".
    #2. Goto the Laptop, WinME Home Networking Wizard and join the WorkGroup "MSHOME".
    #3. Go back to the main PC Network Place and list all computers under the workgroup but nothing appeared.
    #4. Ping the host able to reach.

What exactly went wrong, please point out my mistake. Thanks