Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with copying files and folders in DOS

Help with copying files and folders in DOS

Hello all

I have a serious problem. I need to copy the folder and its contents from my Desktop to my external hard drive. Please can someone help it is really really urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

********** |ceWriterguy
    copy c:\documents and settings\username\desktop\filename\*.* driveletter
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Hi eeisele and welcome to AO.

It would help if you told us what operating system you were using, and why you need to use DOS (if you even have it). There are other ways and means you know.............even totally outside of Windows

For example, have you tried going into Windows Explorer. left clicking on the folder to highlight it, then pressing and holding down the right hand mouse button and using drag and drop?

However, I am getting very negative vibes about this post................like what kind of tosspot would know how to connect an external HDD, or even be aware that they existed, and not know how to transfer data to it?

At the moment you come across as a rather nasty little social engineering Troll, who is trying to steal something. If you do not understand that, please re-read your post very carefully and think about it.

You do need to post more accurately and with the required data...........there are stickies in the forums telling you what to do, if you wish to be take seriously.

Other useful information might include what you have tried already and what messages you got when it did not work.

Cheers

The reason for me asking is because I have virus on my computer and I can't get the Windows XP Home Edition to boot wtih a GUI. It is extremely important that I get it copied to my external hard drive.
    Please keep the ideas coming. I am in dire straits right now.

I know this is going to seem hard, but to copy files you really have to type the word xcopy....

Google for dos commands, and look at xcopy and copy.

Okay here is my scenerio: I have a computer that a user had recieved a virus. When I rebooted it came to a blue background saying that that there is a trojan and you need to run an Adware or virus scan to remove. The start menu doesn't come up. The user needs to get a foler off of the desktop that contains very important school related **** in it. Suggestions would be very helpful.
    Thanks

I have been trying to use xcopy, but I think I am getting the syntax wrong. Here is what I am typing:
    xcopy C:\documents and settings\owner\desktop\desktop files K:\

K:\ is the external hard drive

Am I missing something with the syntax?

Only the Syntax

Like I said, Google for Dos Commands. I'd post it here but I'm busy playing Doom.

Ah! Ha!

When I rebooted it came to a blue background saying that that there is a trojan and you need to run an Adware or virus scan to remove
    Well that is not BillyWindows my friend it looks like some prank or malicious activity?

Please try booting into safe mode, then go into Windows Explorer and see if you can access the files/folders............you should then be able to copy them.

Is this machine connected to a college/school network?

Is it physically secure?

Who has this guy p1$$ed off?

Does the guy have a baseball bat?

Can you do a print screen...........convert it to a .jpg and post it here? I would love to see that blue screen

I am so sorry gore that I disrupted your efforts of shotgun blasting demons. If I caused you any problems with your task I am sorry. But for those who think I am trying to hack and get files, you are wrong. If I wanted to hack into a network I run my packet sniffer and find someone's damn password. Again I am sorry that if I have some how affended you all, but a forum is meant to ask questions and get advice, not to be treated like a ****ing child.
    Thanks