Thread: installing debian packages on slackware

installing debian packages on slackware

Greetings,

I have been trying to figure out how to install debian packages for about a week now, i looked around and saw that there is a slapt-get but it is for slack packages and not .deb's. I know i can install rpm's on slack, but still havn't found a good way to install deb's... any ideas??

thanks!!
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

\"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

With alien, if i use it in conjunction with slapt-get will it do dependencies correctly?? I may be missing your point all together, and maybe i did not ask my question clearly, so let me try again.

Is there any tool for slackware that will let me install debian packages and still manage the dependencies?? (A gui would be nice also)

thanks again
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

If you want to use a GUI to install Debian packages, manage Debian dependencies, then perhaps you should install Debain. Otherwise, you can use alien to convert packages to the format you need. The package dependencies are in the package itself so even after converting to .rpm the package will still be aware of what other packages are required, however since the package was converted, the package will depend on the Debian tree of packages not the Slackware tree. Despite what all the kids say about Slack being awesome, I have some bad news for you. It sucks. Install Debian.

STARE INTO THE PINK SPIRAL OF DOOM!! Apt 0wns j00 411!!!!!!!

-Maestr0

EDIT: The previous comments are the posters personal opinions, please do not start a riot.
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Why would you need Debian packages? Slackware has a bunch:

http://www.linuxpackages.net/

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar

While i agree with that one.. there still are many things that are missing of that site.... i like slackware too alot, but the dependencies can really be a bitch sometimes, take NeroLinux for example. I guess i have to admit that gentoo takes away alot of those problems, debian too, but in a way i still like slackware alot.

Cheers.

//Sorry for the offtopic intrusion
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

First, in reply to "just install debian" slackware is smaller, cleaner, and more efficient... (personal opinion, like before no riots please) I am currently using ubuntu, but on a default install it takes 10 minutes to startup -- that is absurd -- and the gui is necessary for my wife - she is learning, but still does not have a good grasp on non-gui operations

Its all about the dependencies... that is why i was looking into slapt-get, however, then it depends on the developer to put in the dependency information...

also, i would compile everything from source, but what happens when i install something, use it, and then don't need it anymore and there is not a package of the most current version...

//Sorry for the offtopic intrusion
    not off topic at all because one of the main driving points of my question is automatic dependency resolution for those who no longer have time (because of wife, work, kids, etc...) to figure out the problem manually...

Could you name some packages you want or need that put you in dependency hell? Any packages I installed from the link I gave, I had no problems with on Slackware 10.1.

the one that gives me the biggest problems is just straight-up gnome (the most current version) with all the little pieces it needs and now that slackware does not make packages for the newest versions for awhile i had to resort to dropline, but that doesn't seem clean enough since they made their own little tweaks and customizations to gnome... (and they don't always tell you what libs you need and other dependencies which made me temporarily go to ubuntu)

Use the net install .iso from here. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ (106MB)
    After installing the Debian Base system, you will prompted what packages you want installed. (Database,desktop,server, etc) Don't select any. Finish base install. After reboot, log in as root.

apt-get install x-window-system gnome <--- (189MB)

You now have a base system as small or smaller than Slack along with the X server, all its dependencies, and gnome in one command. Now, THATS small,clean and efficient And you can use apt or aptitude to install and manage all dependencies (And since its Debian they will all be rock solid) which are easily upgraded from apt as well as stay current on security updates also handled by apt/aptitude.

-Maestr0