Thread: Nagios implementation

Nagios implementation

My company uses Nagios running on a *nix server to monitor various critical resources at our 39 wan sites. I am the new Nagios administrator (extra duty) and I am wondering if any of you use it for network monitoring. If so, here is my question:

We primarly use the check_ping on all devices and check_dns on our DC's. Are there any other checks that you find useful to you, or necessary for proper monitoring?

If you recommended something are there any traffic considerations associated with the check. (we're somewhat limited on WAN bandwidth)

We do use some specialized checks for certain servers, but I'm concerned more with network-wide useful checks.

I have no specific requirements, I have no specific services that I want to monitor, I just want to know (from experince) if maybe I'm missing out on some useful feature of the program that would help me out a little.

Thanks in advance... I may be new, but I like the cohesion and professionalism here.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

KISS (Keep It Simple Silly)

Don't go looking to add complexity where you don't "NEED" it.

I would start by 1st defining what info you would like to have and then find the tool and/or method to compile the info.

To me having MORE info is not always best.

The more info you compile can mean the more info you have to manage. This can sometimes lead to "too much" info needlessly overwhelming the info manager... When this happens the important stuff can get over looked.

I definately want to avoid complexity.

The Nagios monitors and pages different people with information about the "up" status of their systems.

The more info you compile can mean the more info you have to manage. This can sometimes lead to "too much" info needlessly overwhelming the info manager... When this happens the important stuff can get over looked.
    I agree with you, but Nagios also has a very clean web interface for disseminating of information, so too much information shouldn't become too much of a problem in this instance. Plus, users only see or receive information pertinent to them.

I guess I'm just looking for someone with a background knowledge of Nagios to tell me something they find useful for their implementation. We have it all working and running fine... but I don't know enough to say if there is a better way, or more useful stuff to it... I've done the work of finding out how to run it and compile the database and all that textbook/online stuff, but there is no substitute for experience.
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

Well we are listed Nagios consultants...
    Been using it since the Netsaint days before the name chance and re-design....

Currently we run it on Solaris boxes feeding a custom Cold Fusion provisioning application.
    CF also dynamically builds the object files for automatic updates when networks change or are added on the fly...

Nagios can do much more than page one with up and down info about port/ping availibility.
    You can monitor stuff like network, RAM, CPU, disk space utilization among many othere things.
    There are many plugins and user contributions, to many to name specifically.

Ask not what nagios can do for you but define what needs you have and discover if nagios can help...

If you have a specific question, I'm happy to help you get going...!!

Fair enough, and an honest answer... I will do some more research on my end to see what else my department personnel think they could use and I will post again. Thanks for the help.

We use nagios at work too.
    In fact I set it up.
    We use a bunch of the plugins, mostly check_ping, check_ssh, check_http (and with ssl), check_dns, check_smtp, check_imap (ssl), check_pop3 (ssl)...

Also use it to monitor the hvac sensor (for which there was suddently budget availible for after the near AC disaster!)

One advice I'd give is make sure to properly tweak the schecduling parameters. For us, with the default "smart delay" (or whatever, don't remember the name exactly), the services checks would end up being delayed unacceptable amount of times just so the load on the machine wouldn't get too high (pointless). This would lead to nagios not decting outages in timely fashion before....

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss